Family is only skin deep: Chapter 8

The whole living in history thing had gotten so out of control it was laughable, the only good thing about it was the fact that we could wear our own clothes. I’d gone into town over to weekend with Rhiannon and we’d bought a load of dresses and outfits from a charity shop, I did like the dresses though so it was sort of okay but today being the last day of the project and also the day I was going to end it with Aiden…I was pretty scared. I’d put on a green dotty dress with turquoise green shoes and my mother’s locket, I’d even braided my hair (http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=101692729) and done Rhiannon’s too.  Maggie had put my painting up on the wall in the living room and I walked in to see her standing there smiling at it. “Aw you look great, love” Maggie said and I smiled before grabbing my bag and walking out the door with Rhiannon. “You alright, Rhiannon? You look a bit pale” I said to her and she nodded curtly, not answering my question at all. I watched her and sighed a little as we walked in through the gate “Oh wow Tariq you’ve really gone out haven’t you” I said to Tariq when we walked in to see him wearing what seemed to be a proper army uniform from the War. Tariq had been asked to carry on teaching PE until the end of this term and I was loving it, having Tariq around again as if he’d never met. “Can say the same about you then, you look great” he said and I smiled, only then realising that Rhiannon had walked off. I just sighed and shrugged before walking into the building with Tariq.

“Kaitlin I told you about that locket yesterday” Miss McFall said and I spun around in my shoes to face my History teacher “And I told you yesterday miss, I don’t care. This is my mum’s locket and I’ve worn since she died, don’t think that cause of some stupid living in history shit I’m gonna take it off” I said and walked away, I soon heard the squeaks of Tariq’s wheelchair. “She’s bang outta order, she shouldn’t make you take it off” Tariq said and I just gave him an agreeing nod and an “Hm” sort of noise before we walked into the library where Dynasty was. After sitting around and talking for a bit, me, Dynasty and Tariq went into the canteen to get some “food” I sat down with Tariq after Dynasty walked off from what Kevin had said to her. “Can I talk to you?” Barry asked me, I looked up at him and nodded; I pushed the so called food away and got up from the chair. “I’ll come see you at lunch or something” I told Tariq and he nodded before I walked away with Barry. “What’s up Bazza Baz?” I asked him and jumped onto the side when we walked into an empty classroom. Me and Barry hadn’t spoken since last week, he hadn’t spoken to me, he hadn’t mentioned the text or anything we’d been like strangers the whole week and it had pretty much killed me inside. “What did you mean by that text last week?” he asked me and I took a deep breath, I looked down and entwined my hands together. “I’m sorry for being a bitch to you” I told him, I didn’t look up to see his facial expression, I kept my eyes looking down at my hands as if they were the most interesting things in the world. “I love you, Barry…A lot and I never stopped loving you and I’ve been stupid not to see how I feel…I’m ending it with Aiden today, I can’t carry on being in a relationship with a guy I don’t love…” I said and I finally looked up to see Barry’s expression…he looked shocked but happy as well. I smiled a little and jumped down from the side, I wrapped my arms around his neck and he wrapped his around my wait. “I love you” he whispered in my ear and kissed my forehead.

We stayed tangled up in each other’s arms for about 5 minutes before walking back into the canteen, Barry went and sat with Daren while I went back to sit with Tariq and we carried on talking about what we’d already been talking about until Miss McFall came in “Everyone, I have some terrible news. HMS Victoria, which was crossing the Atlantic with our food supplies, has been torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat which means there will be no lunch and no tea today” Miss McFall said, I looked at Tariq and we both shared a small smirk “She’s completely lost it I swear” I said and he laughed “I’m sorry, but Living History means exploring genuine Second World War conditions. Which is why we’re going to do what people did during the war years, we are going to forage. Now different groups will explore different environments one group might go to the seashore and look for cockles…” Miss McFall said but I wasn’t listening in any way shape or form. I looked at Tariq and saw he was pretty much just on the brink of falling asleep so I kicked him lightly under the table “Come on” I said to him and I got up from the table before walking out the canteen with Tariq leaving Miss McFall in her dream land.