Family is only skin deep: Chapter 2

I was sat alone in a pub, I was supposed to of been meeting Dynasty there but she bailed on me at the last minute when I’d already gotten myself and her fake IDs and got to the pub. I ordered one last drink and sat at the bar, it had only been 2 days since Tom died and Kyle came back, it was Saturday night now and the start of the summer holidays. This drink was supposed to be a relief from everything, just to sit down and get drunk and forget everything but Dynasty had had to cancel. I sighed a little and rested my head on my hand not looking at anyone, I knew people were looking at me mostly men, I could feel their eyes on me and I’d already turned around once to see a group of men around the age of 20 smiling over at me. “You here alone too?” someone suddenly said and I looked up to see a moderately attractive man smiling at me, from what I could see he was about 19 or 20, 21 at a push. “I’m Larry” he said and held out his hand, I took his hand and smiled myself “Kaitlin” I said and shook his hand.

I sat bolt upright almost screaming, I’d obviously being shouting out in my sleep as the next thing I knew, Maggie was scrambling into my room asking who’d been murdered. You looked at me and sat on the bed “Again?” she asked and I nodded, I’d been having bad dreams every night for the past few days since the first day back at school, every single dream included Larry. Maggie hugged me and rubbed my back before clarifying that it was just a dream and try to get a bit more sleep, I looked at the clock and saw it was only half 3 in the morning so I laid my head back on the pillow and fell instantly asleep again.

When I woke up again it was 7 o’clock and I quickly got out of bed and walked out the room, most people normally got up at about quarter past seven so I took advantage and jumped into the bathroom before nobody else could, I quickly brushed my teeth then got into the shower pouring my strawberry shower gel onto the scrunchie as I washed myself. “Jesus, why do you take so long?!” Rhiannon said when I walked out the steam clad bathroom with my towel wrapped round me, I gave her a look of annoyance then walked into my room to get ready. The second I was over the threshold I started to dry myself then pulled on my skinny jeans after my pants then buttoned up my shirt and ran downstairs doing up my tie with my cardigan and blazer in hand. “How’re you feeling this morning, pet?” Maggie asked when I walked into the kitchen, I smiled and told her I was fine as I went into the kitchen and took my medication. “Morning, Mr Budgen” I said cheerfully to my English teacher as I ran back up the stairs to do my hair and make-up then again went into the kitchen for breakfast before walking to school with Rhiannon.

“What’s going on?” I asked when me and Rhiannon walked across the car park to where loads of pupils were gathered outside the building and Barry was banging on the door “It’s bloody locked” Barry said and me and Rhiannon groaned since it was getting cold, Barry looked at me then took his jacket off, throwing it at me. “Cheers” I said and pulled his warm jacket over my arms and smiled, it felt weird wearing Barry’s clothes again since I hadn’t done that since we were together. We’d been stood outside for a further 5 minutes when Miss Spark came over to us and she herself knocked on the door as we stood and watched. “Alright keep ya hair on” Sonya said once she’d opened the door, she looked at us all then at Miss Spark who had stepped back from the opening door “Why didn’t you use the side door like everyone else?” I heard her say as I swung my legs in the air from where I was sat on the railings “Sorry, I-I didn’t know about the side door…” Miss Spark said but stuttered on her words causing me to laugh but try and stifle it. “How are people meant to get into breakfast club if the door’s shut?” Imogen’s voice suddenly came which made me jump since I didn’t see her walk over and I practically fell off from where I was sat causing the others to laugh, I looked around and glared at them so they kept quiet. “There ain’t no breakfast club. Mrs Mulgrew’s had to cancel it cos of costs” Sonya informed us all and we looked around at each other in disbelief, I knew the school would have to cut some things once we’d gone back to council but I didn’t think it would get this bad. I stood and waited as everyone walked through the doors then giggled a little when Barry held the door as Miss Spark walked through “Why thank you, Mr Barry” I said and skipped through the doors, eventually feeling the cold hands of Barry wrap around my waist and lifting me up causing me to scream to be put down. We both laughed and walked over to our friends, arm in arm, since everything that had happened with Larry, me and Barry had started to get close again. We hadn’t started dating not officially anyway but we were pretty darn close to that.