Sequel: Family is only skin deep

Chapter 1

My parents are gone. My family is gone. I’m left alone in the big bad world to fend for myself, my mum is dead, my brother is dead, my dad is in Rochdale, my sister is in America. I’m in Scotland. Everyone I love is gone. I only have him left and I hate him. I hate him so much but I’m so scared of him as well. I’m in a house I’ve stayed in many of times but never for so long and never so permanently like this time. “Kaitlin? Would you like some breakfast?” Maggie said, peeping her head round the door, she looked at me and smiled before I shook my head and got up off my bed. “No thank you” I said simply and grabbed my bag, walking quickly past her but she grabbed my arm “It’s 8 o’clock where’re you going?” she asked sternly, I knew she’d been getting suspicious as to where I’d been going over the summer but I was in no place to tell her not now. “To see someone” I said and snatched my arm out of her grasp, I stalked past her and down the stairs, I was about to open the front door when she suddenly appeared and shut it in front of me. “Kaitlin where have you been going the whole of the summer holidays? Why don’t you want any breakfast? And why haven’t you been taking your medication for the past week?” Maggie snapped at me, I looked over at the dining hall and saw that everyone was piling at the door to watch the commotion between me and Maggie, I glanced at the people I called my friends then back at Maggie. “First one, that’s my business not yours. Second one, I know my dad put you up to that so just stop if I was hungry I’d eat. Third one, I don’t need to take my medication any more, I feel fine so just fuck off!” I spat at her and walked out the school house, slamming the door shut and running off before she could stop me. I walked along the street and started thinking about everything that had happened last term which I hadn’t had time to do recently, I missed Tom. I really did, he was the only teacher who ever understood me and could help me, and he was the only teacher who actually cared about how I was feeling. I missed Kyle, as much as he put me through hell he was my first love and in the nearly 2 years he had been there for me in more ways than anyone else had, he’d helped me get through everyone finding out about Ashleigh, helped me through my dad being run over, being pregnant he helped me so much and I do still love him as much as I hate to Admit that, I do. I missed Barry as well, I missed his protectiveness, his care towards me, love towards me, the comfort I felt when he wrapped his arms around me and held me close. I missed Ashleigh, I hadn’t seen her the whole of the summer after I met him, I’d promised her I wouldn’t leave her again and I had, I’d let her down and I couldn’t face up to that and go see her. She was nearly 4 now and starting school next year.

“Hey babe” Larry said when he opened the door to his flat, I smiled weakly at him and let him kiss me as much as he smelt. I sighed and walked inside going up to where I knew his living room was “Hiya” I said to the boy sitting on the sofa, Lenny, he was starting in year 11 that day with his twin sister, Lisa and I’d said I’d walk in with them and show them to the office. I sat down next to him as Larry came inside “You want something to eat, Kait?” he asked and I just shook my head as he passed some cornflakes to Lenny. I watched as Larry walked out the living room again and I turned to Lenny, pouring some cornflakes into a bowl, ignoring the fact that there were bugs inside which were falling out along with the breakfast cereal. “Milks off” Larry said and put it down on the coffee table when he came back as if it would magically come back in date again. Lenny groaned and put his bowl down on the coffee table as Lisa walked into the living room, she glared at me then started a conversation with her brothers about what they were meant to do, I wasn’t listening I never did unless Larry asked me something directly. “Who’s that?” Lisa suddenly asked when a bang came at the door, he shushed us and I sat back on their sofa “For fuck sake” I groaned and folded my arms over my chest “Shut up” Larry snapped at me and I glared at his back as he turned away before the door started banging open again “Move, kitchen, go” Larry said and I quickly got up off the sofa and followed the twins, I didn’t want to get caught up in whatever shit Larry had going on but I also didn’t want to be in that house, it stunk, it was cold and I hated it. “What’s this?” I asked when I finally walked into the kitchen, I’d only ever been in the living room and Larry’s room, he always had the kitchen door shut and never let me go inside, now I saw why. All around the kitchen counters were plants. Weed plants. “He said shut up” Lisa snapped at me in a hushed tone but looked up when she heard a commotion in the living room and she quickly pushed me out the way and ran out and into the living room. I sighed and walked out, I didn’t look to see what was going on I just crept down the stairs and out the flat fleeing from the block of flats and the estate, going to school.