Family is only skin deep: Chapter 16

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you” Christine came singing into my room on Monday morning, I’d spent the whole weekend in my room pretty much crying, I told Christine about Barry and she just left me to deal with myself occasionally coming in and checking on me but this morning, today in fact I was going to be happy, I was 18 and Christine had brought me breakfast in bed. I ate quickly before going for a shower and getting dressed before descending down the stairs where there was a small pile of presents. I smiled and sat in front of them opening them each carefully so not to rip the paper, I got Season 3 of The Walking Dead, Season 1 of Hannibal, Star Trek into Darkness, World War Z, a photo frame with a picture of me, mum and dad inside, some clothes and quite a lot of money. I thanked Christine for the money and she gave me a badge and a balloon before we walked out the house and jumped into the car going to school. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” Dynasty and Rhiannon exclaimed when I came over, I smiled and hugged them both as they handed me a bag each. I smiled and hugged them again as Imogen came over, we hadn’t spoken since Friday but I was guessing she knew about Barry, she just didn’t know I knew too. “Happy birthday” Imogen said to me and handed me a bag as well before turning to Dynasty and apologising. They hugged it out and we were stood talking altogether for a few minutes until Imogen pointed out a red sports car as it pulled into the car park “Look Rhiannon theirs your drinking pal” she said and I watched as Barry rolled down his window, we looked at each other but I pushed past Imogen and walked off before anyone could say anything.

I was sat in the library opening the presents from Dynasty, Imogen and Rhiannon when Dynasty herself walked in. “You okay babe?” Dynasty asked me and sat on the chair next to me, I didn’t even look at her I just nodded obviously lying. Before I knew it I felt Dynasty’s arms around me and she hugged me, I looked at her then before silently sobbing against her shoulder as she hugged me tighter. Me and Dynasty stayed together in the library until the bell went for the end of the lesson and we went to the changing rooms to get done for PE. I wiped away the mascara that had ran and undressed before pulled on a vest top and jogging bottoms and scruffy trainers before walking out into the hall with Dynasty. “Now before we get started I think a quick happy birthday is needed for Kaitlin so happy birthday” Mr Lowsley said to me and I nodded in gratitude before he started talking about what made a good leader. We were eventually told to get into pairs and I went with Imogen before we were told what we had to do and blindfolded Miss Meriwether, my art teacher  “Now Miss do you trust us?!” I practically shouted at her and watched as she jumped a little at my volume before answering “No” me and Imogen laughed before starting to guide Miss around the obstacle course, most of the time my eyes were on Gabriella as she ‘guided’ Hector around and when I say guided I mean had her hand on his elbow and walking him through. “Very good girls” Mr Lowsley said as he came round, I smiled and carried on guiding my teacher round. It had been a further five minutes of me and Imogen guiding Miss Meriwether round when we heard a loud thump and turned around to see Mrs Lowsley lying flat on her face, I looked at Imogen and tried to stifle a laugh as Mr Lowsley helped her up then dismissed us to get changed.

I was sat on the bench talking to Dynasty and Imogen while pulling my tights up my legs when I heard Rhiannon ask Gabriella something “So are you and Barry officially together now?” I looked at Dynasty then over at the two girls, I saw Gabriella look over at us to make sure we were listening before she turned to Rhiannon again. “Yes, yes we are Rhi-Rhi and he actually told me that I was the best girlfriend he’d ever had” she said, I knew she was doing it to wind me up but I didn’t say anything “Spray us Dyn” I said and stood up, chucking my deodorant at my best friend once I’d finished dressing, Dynasty sprayed my body and gave me the can back which I shoved in my bag and put on my shoulder. “Barry also said he didn’t know why he ever went out with Kaitlin, he said she was a chavvy whore” I heard her say just as I was about to walk out the door. I spun around and saw Dynasty look at me as if telling me to stop but I walked back, dropped my bag and my presents before lunging at Gabriella. “You want to say shit about me?! I’ll give you something to fucking say!” I screamed at her as I slapped her round the face and punched her and kicked her in every place I could “You wanna call me a whore you might wanna look in a mirror for once or don’t you might crack it” I screamed through tears and sobs, I continued hitting Gabriella before I felt myself being pulled back and I soon saw Christine in front of me. “My office now!” She shouted in my face and picked up my stuff, walking out the changing rooms and going up to Christine’s office. I sat down at the desk and a few seconds later Christine walked inside too. “I thought I told you that you can’t go round hitting people Kaitlin. I let you off last time because she provoked you but you had no reason to go her this time!” Christine snapped at me, I looked up from my floor my make-up had run badly from where I’d been crying and I had a headache from shouting “She did provoke me. She was making up stuff about me saying I was a chavvy whore” I told her and she sighed “You’ll have 2 weeks detention now go back to class, I don’t want to see you in here again” she told me and I got up from the chair, I said nothing just grabbed my stuff and walked out.