Family is only skin deep: Chapter 13

I’d got back to Rochdale late on Sunday night, I went to Christine’s house and just slept until I was awoken at 7 o’clock for school. While I was down in Rochdale Christine, Connor and Maggie had moved a lot of my stuff into Christine’s house but we’d get the rest after school that night.  When I awoke I went for a shower then pulled on my jeans and shirt and went downstairs to where Christine was making breakfast. Connor was still asleep. “Morning” she said cheerfully and I sat down at the breakfast bar as she put a plate of sausage, egg, bacon and beans in front of me. I sat talking and eating with Christine until Connor finally surfaced at quarter to 8, he had his own breakfast then went to get a shower, we finally left the house at half 8.

Once we arrived I jumped out the car and ran over to where Dynasty, Imogen, Rhiannon and Kevin were stood, they saw me coming and smiled as I hugged them all. “How was your Christmas?” Kevin asked and I told them about it, about going into the studio and about seeing all my old friends. I was about to let them listen to a couple of songs on the album but the bell went so we walked into the building and into the hall where assembly would be held, I sat down between Dynasty and Imogen and stopped talking when Mr Lowsley came up on stage “Good morning everyone” he said to us all and we all said good morning back in our usual dreary back to school morning voices. “On behalf of Mrs Mulgrew and the rest of the teaching staff, I’m delighted to usher in the new term. Waterloo Road is going to blaze a trail other schools will be desperate to follow” he said to us all, I wasn’t really paying attention so I missed what Mr Lowsley was saying completely, I started paying attention though when the back door suddenly swung open and someone came running in with a baseball bat shouting “Nobody move” me and Dynasty looked at each other before we jumped up and dragged Imogen to the side of the hall where the doors were.

We watched in horror as the man went for Mr Lowsley and smacked him in the face before Miss Boston pulled him away and basically sat on him, I looked at Dynasty then over at Mr Lowsley who eventually told us the man wasn’t dangerous and was actually the new PE teacher “Well hello Mr Reid” I said when he stood up and we saw his face, Dynasty and Imogen looked at me then started laughing before we were all ushered out of the hall and into the car park. I was stood with Imogen and Dynasty as they spoke about Connor “Look  Imogen, Connor wouldn’t cheat on you he’s probably got some surprise for you or something” I said to her, she was about to reply when a car pulled into the school and we all turned around to observe. A man in a suit and sunglasses climbed out of the driver’s seat as a woman got out the other side. A couple of seconds later and a girl about the age of me, Dynasty and Imogen got out, she was blonde, very blonde and very snobby, her skirt fell just a tiny bit above her knee, her whole uniform was in perfect condition and she was pouting as she looked around at us all, obviously feeling above us.

We saw the man, obviously her father, mutter something to her before she looked around the car park again, eventually looking at Connor and Kevin, she smiled then walked over to him, grabbed his shirt and pressed her lips on his. Me, Dynasty and Imogen all looked at each other in shock before she removed her lips and walked away, Connor turned around and tried to fight his battle before me and Dynasty walked Imogen up the steps and into the school building.

Since we’d had assembly there was no form that day so I walked to my first lesson with Imogen and Rhiannon, History. “Let’s sit near the window” I whispered to Rhiannon and went straight over to the opposite side, I looked at her as she rolled her eyes and I sat beside the window giving me a great view of Mr Reid “You’re unbelievable” she whispered to me, I looked at the new PE teacher again before answering “And single” I looked up as this new girl walked into the classroom and glared at her as she sat down at the front, I wasn’t listening much to Miss McFall I was looking out the window as much as I could. I looked away when Miss McFall started asking the new girl, Gabriella, something “5 pounds says I punch her by the end of the day. What even is that voice?” I whispered to Rhiannon who giggled a little. After a couple more seconds I was getting annoyed at this girl talking “Oh would you just shut up? Some of us want to learn” I shouted out to her, she turned around and looked at me “Well at least my family can afford to send me to a good enough school where I learn someone worthwhile. Let me guess, your mum gets paid for sex?” she said to me and turned around again, I looked at Rhiannon then stood up from my chair “Kaitlin sit down please” Miss McFall said wearily, she knew that what Gabriella had said would piss me off “Do you want to say that again” I spat at Gabriella once I’d got to the front of the classroom and was stood in front of her “Your mum must be a prostitute” she said slowly to me, I glared at her before grabbing her hair and pulling her over the table, I pushed her down on the floor and knelt over her before I started punching her “I might not go to some poxy private school but the good thing about a school like this is you learn to fight” I shouted in her face and punched her again, I was eventually dragged off her and I looked up to see Miss Boston pulling me out of the classroom.