Family is only skin deep: Chapter 9

Monday. I hated Mondays, I hated the lessons I had and the teachers I had to deal with, I just hated it so when my alarm blasted out Bastille I wanted to cry and shove my head under the pillow. It had only been a weekend since I tried to end things with Aiden, those two days had been the longest and hardest two days of my life. He’d practically forced me to stay at his house the whole weekend even though I had so much coursework to do it was unreal, I got none of that done since all Aiden wanted to do was have sex or smoke weed, I’d had about 2 hours sleep over the weekend and that was it. I wanted to cry but I eventually pulled myself out of bed and went into the bathroom, I just stood in the shower for a few minutes thinking before quickly getting washed and doing my hair. When I got into my bedroom I pulled my laptop out and turned it on, I probably didn’t mention did I? I do YouTube videos of me doing covers, I’ve done it for about 2 years now and I already have 2 million subscribers and a million followers on Twitter. People had gotten used to it now, me being there so nobody was bothered by me and my apparent fame on YouTube. I clicked on my mentions and read through some as I got dressed, singing as I did so.

“Morning love” Maggie said when I walked into the kitchen, I smiled at her and started helping her to make breakfast like I normally did if I was the first one awake and down stairs. I wasn’t that hungry so I didn’t eat much and eventually walked out the school house with Rhiannon “Hey what’s that bruise on your cheek?” Rhiannon suddenly asked and stopped me, she looked at my face and wiped my make up a little, I’d tried to cover up the bruise from where Aiden had hit me but obviously I hadn’t done a good job “Nothing I walked into a cupboard” I lied and stalked off, away from Rhiannon and all her questions. I walked in through the gates at the same time as Barry and his mum and Kacey and Dynasty of course, I hadn’t spoken to him since Friday and Aiden has practically banned me from seeing or talking to him and I knew that he wouldn’t take no for an answer and I knew he would find out if I spoke to Barry so I didn’t risk it. I pulled my hood up and looked down, walking past him and to the school building not even glancing back once. When I walked in through the front doors I looked over to see Darren practically bullying Lenny “Oi, Darren! Leave him alone and give him his bag back” I snapped at him, he looked at me then burst out laughing “Like I’d listen to you” he smirked and kicked Lenny’s bag again, I looked at Lenny then grabbed Darren’s wrist and twisted it behind his back pushing him against the locker “Give him the bag back or you’ll be sporting more than a slight sprain to the wrist” I said to him and quickly but hardly kneed him between his legs making him keel over in pain. I grabbed the bag and handed it to the Lenny again “Kaitlin Byrne! Cooler now, that sort of behaviour isn’t tolerated and you know it!” I heard Christine shout behind me, I sighed and spun round before walking past her and down the corridor to the cooler which I hadn’t been in for a very long time. It was half way through second period when someone finally came into the cooler and it was Christine “Right you can go now, Kaitlin but don’t let me catch you doing anything like that again” she said, I grabbed my bag and walked out the room going to my French class. “Sorry sir was in the cooler” I said to Mr Windsor when I walked in late before sitting in my seat in front of Dynasty and Kevin.

When the bell went for break time I walked out with Dynasty and Kevin and went with them to the canteen to get something to eat “Oh, Kait, Barry told us that you were gonna break up with Aiden and you and Barry were gonna give it another try?” she asked me happily, I stared at her in shock. “Wha-What?” I asked my mouth suddenly going dry, he’d already mentioned it to Dynasty? “Mum’s proper happy about it” she added and my eyes widened a little, he’d told his mum? I stared at Dynasty before turning around and walking away, I didn’t know what to do; I didn’t think Barry would have mentioned anything to his family but obviously I was wrong. I walked down the corridor but stopped when I saw Barry coming the opposite way “Shit” I muttered before bowing my head down and walking a little faster “Kaitlin?” I heard Barry’s voice but I didn’t stop, I kept walking forwards ignoring his shouts after me until I was so far away I couldn’t even hear his voice anymore. “Kaitlin can I have a word?” I heard Maggie’s voice and looked to my left to see her standing in the door of the home mec classroom, I sighed and walked inside. “Rhiannon came to see me earlier, she told me that she’d seen a bruise on your cheek that hadn’t been there on Friday…Are you okay? Has anything happened?” she asked me and I sighed, I knew Rhiannon would go running to Maggie, I guess I couldn’t blame her she was just worried about me. “I’m fine Maggie, I walked into a cupboard door while I was stopping at Aiden’s that’s all” I said to her, she looked at me carefully before sighing and hugging me. “Hey have you got a free period next?” she asked and I nodded, confused. “How about you stay here and help me with my next class?” she said and I smiled, nodding yes.