Family is only skin deep: Chapter 22

“Fuck” I said as I pulled my shirt over my stomach, I hadn’t gotten any bigger not yet anyway I was only about a month gone but either my shirts were shrinking in the wash or I was just generally getting fatter. I hadn’t told Dynasty and Imogen about not having the abortion, I certainly hadn’t told Hector he didn’t need to know I’d be out of the school before it became noticeable and I’d tell Dynasty and Imogen today. Maybe. I was just finishing with my make up when my phone started ringing, I picked it up not recognising the number but started smiling when I heard what the woman on the other end was saying. “Thank you!” I exclaimed and hung up the phone before running down the stairs with my blazer and bag in hand. I quickly ate my breakfast and packed my bag with the stuff that I needed before walking out the front, I hadn’t spoken to Christine since she was released from the jail cell and I didn’t intend on speaking to her just yet.

I met Kyle at the school gates and walked inside hand in hand, over to a large climbing wall situated in the middle of the school car park “What the” I said, me and Kyle looked at each other then up at Mr Lowsley who was perched at the top of the wall. I looked over at Kyle but let my eyes glance to Mr Reid behind him, we exchanged eye contact before I looked away and back at Mr Lowsley as he came whizzing down the wire to the ground. I groaned but cheered along with everyone else when he mentioned about being the acting head of Waterloo Road. After a couple minutes everyone disbursed out and into the school building along with me and Kyle. “Hey” Imogen came over to us about 5 minutes later, I smiled and hugged about to say I didn’t to tell her something when we were all ushered into the hall for assembly. It was the awards ceremony thing so I wasn’t really paying attention just messing about on my phone until about 10 minutes later Kyle nudged me and I looked up to see everyone’s eyes on me “Kaitlin, you’ve won an art award” Mr Lowsley said to me, my mouth formed into an O shape and I got up to collect the silly little plastic trophy “Thanks” I said and walked back to my seat keeping my head down.

After assembly we had English and me and Kyle took our normal seat in front of Imogen and Dynasty and was later joined by Rhiannon “You’ll get into the police no problem” I said to Dynasty as she was talking about it, I hadn’t told anyone my news yet I was leaving it a little longer since we’d only just gotten the news that Kacey could possibly be playing in the common wealth games. I looked between my two best friends before sighing “I need to speak to you both after class” I whispered to them before turning back around and doing the work we had been set with Kyle.

The class dragged quite a bit but soon the bell rang for the end of the lesson and I dragged Dynasty and Imogen into the girls toilet, I had a free so I wasn’t bothered about how long this took. “I didn’t have the abortion” I blurted out once I’d checked nobody was here, I turned to my best friends and they both just stared at me. “What?” Dynasty asked obviously shocked, I took a deep breath before explaining “I couldn’t do it, I couldn’t kill a baby. My baby. I couldn’t do it, it’s cruel to kill a human being before it’s even had the chance to live…” I told them, I’d looked down as I was saying this but looked up to see them both still staring at me in shock “But what about school? University?” Imogen asked and I took a deep breath, after the news I’d received this morning I’d thought all of it through “I’ll sort all of that out I just need you guys to understand this is what I want, I need you guys to support me in this…please” I pleaded with them, I watched as they both exchanged glances before smiling and coming over, they wrapped their arms around me and hugged me. We stayed entwined together for a few minutes before they both realised they had classes to go to and rushed out leaving me standing alone in the girls toilets.

I stood and laughed for a couple of seconds before walking out of the toilet and out into the main entrance, I stopped when I saw Christine walk through the door but smiled when I saw Connor. “Kaitlin I’m glad I’ve caught you now I just wanted to apologise for the last few days” she said to me and came over, I glanced over at Connor then looked up at Christine before smiling and hugging her quick. She stood stern for about a second before relaxing and hugging me back. She was the first to pull away and she walked past me, I turned around to see Darren walking over so I went over to Connor engulfing him into a huge hug. Me and Connor watched Christine as she spoke to Darren then went off up to the staff room, I looked at Connor and sighed before we sat down on one of the sofas and started talking, I told him about everything that had happened since he left minus the pregnancy of course and he told me everything he’d been doing in London. We sat talking right until the bell went and Imogen came over, I smiled at her and got up from the sofa leaving them alone and going to find Dynasty. It didn’t take me long since I knew her time table and we walked outside the building talking about stuff.