24. Partizzle Tonizzle & Strings Of Heart

"I'm free! Oh my God, oh my god... Listen up, NYU: I'm finally untethered. Hear me out, America, the creatures of the earth, the objects of the universe... I'm fucking free! "

"For the love of chocolate muffins, Ivy, quit behaving like we're freed from colonial rule." I laughed and rolled my eyes at her.

"C'mon, dude! Our exams are done and dusted. Now it's time for a week off! This, man, is paradise! " She reacted with a fist bump in the air.

"So, you got any plan?" I collapsed on my bed, closed my eyes and basked in the sheer delight of my life.

"Fuck, yeah!" She screamed and squealed like an animal.

"So, today's Senior Drew, and Senior Diana's birthday." Did I mention they were twins? "And he's throwing a backyard party tonight, and..." I raised an eyebrow at her as she paused. Her lips were thinly pressed together.

"We've been invited... and we're going!"

"And who said I am going, Ms. Morris?"

"Hey, you can't do that!"

"Believe me, sweetheart, I can and I did!"

"Senior Aylwin will be there as well." She smirked mischievously as she yelled.

"That's why I'm not going." I muttered that under my breath in the hope that she wouldn't hear me.

"What? What exactly did you say? " She gave me a dubious look with her squinted eyes.

"Nothing! I'm not going. That's final! " I breathed a sigh of relaxation as I closed my eyes.

"Shit! Soph, you can't do this to me.... pretty please! I'll give you my ice cream and chocolate chips, as well as... "

"Hold on, hold on! I never asked for such things the last time I checked."

"Why are you so adamant about not going? There will be a food, wine, music, hot seniors, and so forth! "

"I'm going to bed now. Ciao! "

I wanted to attend, but a recent occurrence had shattered my tranquility. If avoidance is an alternative, it's preferable to take it than to allow minor issues to affect you to your core, and I was doing precisely that.

I had to turn in an assignment to the Dean's office at the Senior building two days before the test. I crossed the campus area after presenting my work, only to be ambushed by the day's shock. My feet came to a standstill as I took in the scene directly in front of me, which would haunt me for the next several nights. Senior Aylwin yanked her away, her eyes anguished and furious. As she dejectedly raked her hands through her raven hair, he uttered something to her, and her gaze inadvertently landed on mine. Her emotions were at bay, as usual, with no trace of anything. Something flashed in her eyes for a split second, but she was too quick to hide it under a rigid stance. I averted my sight after he followed her gaze. As his gaze prowled over my face, I forced a smile. I quickly walked away, turning on my heels. When I arrived at my dorm, I closed the door, leaning against it. I took a shaky breath and managed to recollect what had happened.

She was kissing him.

Azura Reynolds was kissing him.

Azura Reynolds was kissing Senior Aylwin.

I wanted to pretend that it had no effect on me, but I knew deep down that I was lying. It had an impact on me, extinguishing the embers of passion and sprinkling the ashes of misery across the rawness of our bond. I wanted to deny everything, but it was becoming exceedingly challenging to do so. I wasn't the kind to cry about such stuff. I didn't owe him anything, nor did he, so why would I act like a heartbroken teen? I wasn't expecting him to give me an explanation, and why the damn should I? It was his life, and he was free to do anything he wanted; I wasn't chained to him, and he wasn't obligated to me.