46. The Return & The Lost

I sipped the warm chocolate shake, savoring its delicious, soul-satisfying essence. My gaze traipsed through millions of images of various items. From watches and pendants to outfits and colognes, to thumb rings and couple gifts. None of them really caught my eye.

"Ugh! Why is selecting gifts so damn hard? " Frustrated with my plight, I muttered under my breath.

Finally, the day of Senior Aylwin's birthday greeted us. Everyone was occupied with decorating and organizing the venue. We picked Senior Drew's place for his party. Because I had something far more intriguing planned for the night. Which was impossible to do in the presence of so many people.

Of course, privacy matters.

Spotting a familiar figure, I yelled, "Senior Chase!"

"Yeah, Hazel Eyes?" He jogged up to me, a smile blooming on his lips.

"Senior Aylwin?"

"MIA as always." He laughed, shrugging. I couldn't help but smile heartily at his contagious laugh.

I replied, grinning, "Good, good. I hope he remains MIA till the next five-six hours. "

"Hope so too."

"Did he talk to you in the morning?" He asked.

I nodded, "Yeah, he did. Though he didn't tell me about his 'lost and found' thingy. "

"I see. By the way, do you think he knows about all this? Any sus? "

"Don't think so. I mean, aren't we being discreet? "

"Sheesh, I'm dying to see his reaction. It'd be so much fun. " He smiled and proceeded to his work.

I groaned, checking the time. It was past three o'clock. Where in the world was he? Of course, we exchanged a few words in the morning. But he didn't tell me his whereabouts. As a matter of fact, I had no clue where he was. A part of me was ecstatic about the celebration and the preparations. I was so damn thrilled and euphoric to see his reaction.

Wait, more than that... I hadn't wished him. Yet. I would wish him. But not yet. At the perfect moment. At the perfect time.

My thoughts drifted back to the day I spilled the beans about Lily's parents. Still, the devastated and forlorn faces of Grace and Ben tormented me. It was disturbing. And, true to his word, he did pick up the pace. He didn't let me falter.

I was relieved that the conversation with the couple went considerably better than I had anticipated. I'd never felt so relaxed in my life. No longer did I feel any remorse, regret, or guilt. Nothing. It was all clear. Crystal clear.

"Hey, Soph! Mind coming here for a minute? " Sapphire called me.

"Is this all OK?" She asked, holding out a décor catalog.

"Yup, perfect!"

Moving farther, I spotted Ivy, who was entangled in fairy lights. The girl was a next-level episode in and of herself. "Uffoo, Ivy, lemme help ya."

I made my way over to Mysie and Senior Diana, who were organizing the refreshments. "Have ya texted the group?"

"Yeah, all done!"

"Soph!?" Damien called. Excusing myself, I approached him.

"What about drinks?"

"Ask Felix!" Just then, my phone started ringing. He stared at me as though he wanted to ask me something. I apologetically smiled, "Ah, oh-k, gimme a second, guys."