51. Stuck Veils & Facetime

Walking past Greenwich Hall, I was done with the day's chorus. Instead of taking the long route, I took the passage through the side campus. It had been a long-long tiring day. A long, warm shower would be much more helpful. I wrapped the scarf around my head tightly.

"I don't know, Austin. It's been a while. Tracks are deserted these days." A slight familiar voice nudged my ears.

Austin?

My first urge was to take a U-turn and storm away; however, it seemed like fate wasn't on my side that day either. The crunch under my shoes made a noise only to attract the two pairs of eyes on me.

Yup, fuck me!

Austin and Azura sat next to each other on the stairwell. The same place where Austin oh-so-nicely asked me to leave him the hell alone. The memories were still as fresh as ever, along with the sourness and bitterness. Their eyes were slightly alarmed, as if I had caught them doing something "unethical."

I cringed at the thought of it. Anyway, I waved back, sheepishly, "Umm, didn't mean to interrupt. You guys carry on... I'm leaving anyway."

"Soph stop!" My feet halted hearing the voice that had hurt me most. We didn't have many interactions or encounters in a while. And I was thankful for that. Until now.

I turned slowly, seeing the brown-eyed guy standing a few feet away from me. He nervously shifted from one foot to the other. Azura's intense gaze penetrated the area as the thick tension hovered above us.

"Yeah?" With a raised brow, I asked.

"I-I... umm... I want t-to say... Look, I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't mean those words. I-I j-just... wasn't thinking straight. I took out my anger on you. Please forgive me." He stammered, his eyes one second meeting mine, the other second looking away. He exhaled and inhaled. Exhaled. Inhaled.

Before I could respond, the dark-skinned beauty bet me, "She's not your frustration reliever, duffer! Man up and tell her the real reason. She has the right to know."

Okay, what was that? Code words? Secret talks? What were we? Ten? 

Never mind; I stared at both of them, who seemed to be in a heated, tense eye-war. I cleared my throat, breaking their eye war. "What should I know?"

"Truth. The truth about your lover and the nerd."

Wow, what a way to put it!

"Azura no!" Austin hissed. Gone was the shy, nervous boy demeanor. It was again the same guy who had stabbed me with his words.

Azura laughed, walking up to me. Tilting her head, she examined my face. Her lips turned into a malicious smirk. "Ever curious why Austin hates Aylwin so much?"

My eyes narrowed in her direction, still registering what the hell she was up to. Of course, I'd thought about it probably a hundred and thousand times. Yet I never got to ask him.

Do I want to know it? Yes.

Do I want to know it from them? No.

It was something related to Aylwin. So, it would be only him who would share it with me. I'd ask from him. I would clearly not listen to anyone. Definitely not someone who more or less was a mist of the night.

"Grab the offer, Jasper. Limited sale." It was amusing for her. Clearly amusing. She chuckled darkly.

"I'll pass." I muttered, continuing, "If I want to know, I'll directly ask him. No need to burden yourself with my doubts and queries." I sealed my words with a perfect, don't-underestimate-me smile.