32. Her Deathbed & His Death

THIRD PERSON POV's:

The stretcher was carried in through the ambulance door. The male nurses hurried into the hospital, placing the body on it. Sophronia was soundly sleeping on the stretcher. Her heartbeat started to slow and her breathing became labored. Vivid crimson had adorned the beauty. Blood oozed from the gashes, which were bloated and swelled. Her friends had gathered around her. To say they were devastated would be an understatement. They were still digesting what had transpired in those few hours. Everyone looked awful, especially Ivy who couldn't stop crying.

"Everyone side please."

"Dr., the patient's condition is very critical. She's lost a lot of blood."

"Shift her into the ICU right away."

The hospital was in chaos. Everyone was rushing as a new patient was admitted. The nurses rushed to set up the ICU as the doctors discussed the patient's condition. She was moved to the intensive care unit (ICU) as quickly as possible. Her situation was dire. Everyone was consoling one another, or more precisely, themselves. It felt like a dream, or like a hallucination or worst nightmare. They waited for what seemed like ages outside the room, hoping to hear even a sliver of good news.

***

"Where's she?" The voice was strained, broken, and hoarse. Ivy was the one who recognized it and dashed over to him, tackling him in an embrace that they both needed. Ethel was not only Sophronia's brother, but also Ivy, who became his little sister in a couple of months.

"Ethel... she was with us... She was fine... I don't know... how it happened? I shouldn't let her go..." Ethel stroked her head as she sobbed and sniffled. His own tears were battling to escape, but he held them back; just for his sister's sake.

"She'll be fine... My sister is very strong... right?" He pulled apart, brushing away her tears as more replaced them in a flash. Ivy couldn't stop herself. Seeing her sister-like-bestie in such a state was heart wrenching.

"You sounded so frantic on the phone. How did you know about this?"

"When I heard her scream, I was on the phone. She assumed she had hung up, but she hadn't. Then I dialed you." They sat in silence while she explained the situation to him. The hospital wasn't particularly crowded. Aylwin, Chase, Ivy, and Sapphire including Ethel. Austin, Mysie, and Ryder were with Azura, who was admitted to the same hospital. The rest of them had gone, and they would return for the following shift.

Yes, Sophronia was hit by Azura's car. Azura had suffered a concussion and was undergoing care. For everyone, it was just an accident, but only a certain chocolate-brown-eyed nerd knew that it was a meticulously planned murder.

When the door finally opened, they were greeted by a flurry of nurses and a doctor in a white coat. Everyone encircled him, their desperate eyes pleading with him to assure them she was alright. Out of danger... breathing and more importantly... alive.

"Dr. Slade, how's my sister?"
"Is she alright?"
"Is she awake?"

"Calm down, I'll answer your questions."

The doctor sighed, "We're very sorry to say..." As soon as those words left his mouth, Ivy shouted on top her lungs, "She's alright, right? Tell me, she's alright! Nothing's gonna happen to her. Tell me!" Sapphire consoled her, both of them stood there with tears-stricken face.

"Ma'am, let me complete. So, as I was saying her conditions are very critical, and I need to talk to you in private."

Dr. Slade let out a sigh as he pondered the girl's predicament. In her instance, there was no time to think. Everything had to be done shortly, or she would not be able to make it. And they needed to be aware of it. The uncertainty and discomfort in his eyes enraged Aylwin. With each passing second, he grew more agitated.