29. Coke Addiction & Aquatic Fever

"Which one?"

"The one beside Kyla." Bundles of files were stacked in racks. How in the hell was I supposed to know which file to pick up?

"Just say which file, Senior Chase; otherwise, feel free to get it on your own." I glared at him, deadpanned. 

He smirked, a devious look on his face, "My apologies, Hazel Eyes! Just the one near Bro's desk, I recall... see there... red one..." He motioned to Senior Poker Face's desk, where he was typing on his laptop. His eyes were firmly set on his laptop screen, and his fingers continued to type at a breakneck pace. I had to gulp harder as his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, exposing popping veins. The overwhelming sensation I felt was nothing new to me, and my sublime desires were once again submerged on the shores. Hues of the tattoo peeked out from under his sleeves. Why was it so damn challenging to keep my composure in front of him?

"Fresher?" His voice startled me out of my reverie. As blood surged to my cheeks, I realized my grave sin. His eyes lingered on the screen for a few moments before resting on me. With a tinge of tease in his devilish gesture, he cocked his brow at me.

"Ah, Hazel Eyes, I know the view is tantalizing and all, but just hand me the file, and he'll be yours for all I care..." Senior Chase's voice was not so quiet, and it turned a few heads our way, embarrassing me all over again. Fortunately, there were only a few seniors in the office. Instead of blushing and making a fool of myself, I shot back with a sassy retort, "Ah, Senior Chase, my apologies! And, if I recall correctly, you possess two hands, so why not use them occasionally?" After saying that, I went back to work.

"Aw, is my junior Hazel Eyes angry?" He teased me yet again.

"Work! There's something called work. Sometimes, do it. " Not wanting to satisfy him, I didn't give him any kind of reaction.

"Cool down, woman! I was just pulling your legs."

"Yeah, you've pulled a lot. Now, want to break them?" He chuckled and eventually walked away, leaving me alone.

The weight of work was dragging me down like a colossal mountain. Time passed, and events drew nearer, and by events I meant... every darn event. The university event was slated for the next month, necessitating a mountain of work. Following that, we had our semester break, followed by the Seniors' graduation ceremony. It seemed as though they were all queued up in a line, one after the other.

"Kyla?" Senior Kyla spun her chair to face Senior Aylwin. Not intending to eavesdrop in on their conversation, I kept my focus glued to my task.

"Any news from event managers?"
"Yeah, they have confirmed the arrangements. Deans has to approve them. "
"Very well. Performances?"
"The records are all ready. All the clubs are through their last selection.... and I guess, after that... everything will be ready."
"Financial records?"
"Ah, Daisy already submitted it to the executives. Let's see what they say?"
"The covers and theme have been approved. What about funds?"
"Ah, Chase got me the report. One minute... "

Senior Chase came, and the discussion resumed. Everyone departed for break time after an hour of discussion about anything and everything, leaving the two of us alone. All thanks to Senior Chase! He was supposed to carry out the task, but instead he handed it on to me, claiming, "Wouldn't want my bro working alone, now, would I?" Bro, my ass! I kept cursing him in my head for throwing me in such a pickle.

The silence got denser, and nervousness sank inside me like a snowbank. Ticking time didn't stop, and its sound resonated across the room, piercing the veil of solitude. For a short spell, I felt compelled to break the gigantic wall clock to bits as it persisted to stab the flesh of stillness. I was desperate to shatter the torturous quietness, but Mr. Courage had other plans for me. I sighed, not willing to bother Mr. Golden Silence by shattering it and thus, allowed it to flow through us, carrying us to shores we'd never dared to visit.