60. Behind Their Back & Crafting Clues

"Almer?" A very calm Aylwin spoke into his phone. He could hear shuffles and muffled voices from his brother's side.

"Just a sec." His brother replied, making the latter sigh and make himself comfortable in the plush leather chair. His classes were over for the day, and he needed some peace of mind. Alas, spending a few moments alone in the Council Office might serve the purpose. No one would disturb him at this hour. Exactly what he wanted.

"Sorry brother. You still there?" Almer's smooth voice cackled in the atmosphere. The prior shuffles and glitches got muffled into nothingness.

"Yeah, I'm. Did you check?" He said, referring to the pen drive he had given him to inspect and collect evidence.

"Yes, I went through it. The proofs are solid enough to take any action against him. It's time we negotiate with Mr. Ellis." The news brought a sense of perennial joy and relief to the listener. Just as he wanted.

He ran his fingers through his luscious dark curls, messing up the already disheveled mop. "I'll text you the details. Keep me updated." Ending the call, the guy exhaled. There was so much going on in his mind. So many notions, be they healthy or unhealthy, curled themselves in the illusional pit of his mind. Resting his head on the headrest, he closed his eyes, letting his exhausted body sag a bit in peace.

But peace and Aylwin didn't fit in one sentence.

"Aylwin!" A high-pitched exclamation startled him. The voice of the person who disgusted him to his core rang across the room. His now-hooded eyes watched her strut towards him. A look of despondency and relentlessness marred the face of the blonde.

Last I needed was a confrontation with Aria. For Christ's sake, I'd shitloads to deal with. He thought.

"What are you doing here?" Low. Calm. Dangerous. His voice was laced with maliciousness. And truth be told, he didn't even try to hide the contempt in his voice. The girl deserved it.

She walked closer, stopping just in front of him. The long, oak table stood as the obstacle between them. She started, "Look, I know I messed up. But..."

Aylwin was swift to cut her off, "Do me a favor and leave the room." The calmness of his placid tone was threatening. Aria had seen all forms of Aylwin; however, this one was nothing like the others. She was never afraid of him. But sensing the demeanor of a man sitting with a bloody poker face and a voice so lethally calm, she knew she fucked up bad.

"Aylwin, please... I can explain..." He dismissed her words with a wave of his hand, saying, "Didn't you hear me?" Calmness toyed at the strings of each word. Trying his best not to raise his voice. He was too tired and exhausted to deal with her. With anyone, as a matter of fact. The mental pressure from the past few days was starting to wear him out.

Aria flinched at the finality of his tone. Her heart slicing into millions of tiny pieces, leaving her miserable. She fucked up. She fucked up so bad. When Ian told her about the slip of information, the first reaction was anger. The ground beneath her shook. She tumbled down the steps of her anguish. The ready-made doom swallowed her. Alas, the outcome of everlasting guilt gushed out from the geyser of regret.

Sucking in a deep breath, she began, "I know I fucked up! I fucked up so bad. I'm sorry. I really am! This shouldn't have happened. What I did was wrong!"

"Wrong?" Aylwin raised his brow at her, analyzing her keenly. Wrong? Just wrong? Was she serious?

Her eyes swelled up, brimming with glistening drops. Her actions compelling her to break down. She exclaimed, her lips quivering, "Fine, it was beyond wrong. I'm so sorry. Please, I'm trying to reason it out. Just hear me at least once."