𝟘 | 𝟙

Options

     I run past the forest trees as my heart pounds out of my chest

     I run past the forest trees as my heart pounds out of my chest. My anxiety illusion's every tree to look the same and I'm afraid I heading the wrong way. But I know these trees. They've been here all my life.

    I run as fast as my feet can take me as I jump over logs and push past the leaf full branches. As I race closer to the pack lands, grey smoke levitating in the clear blue sky alarms my wolf senses. I'm too late!

     I finally cross into the territory and the missing border guards don't ease the unpleasant pit in my stomach either. They're always here, always, so something's definitely wrong. I dart towards the way to my house while the forest I've called home all my life burn to the ground. Tree branches fall from every direction and cover the grass floor. Panic sheds through me as I think of all of the possible scenarios and outcomes of this attack. Looking around, pack members push past each other and tiny water droplets fall from the sky mixing with their tears.

    When I come to my senses, I notice the sun's light is block and it's dark for a second. I turn and look up before the tall tree that casts a huge shadow as fire procrastinates to the top which slowly comes tumbling down. With wide eyes, I run out of the shadow before the tree crushes me in one fall. The ground shakes as the tree hits the ground with a loud thud. I escape being crushed but I painfully land on my snout and stomach. As the ground beneath me vibrates, a high pitch sound rings in my sensitive ears. People hide and scatter all over the place running from god knows what. Screams and cries fill the air and still no sign of my parents. I slowly get back up on all fours, ignoring the excruciating headache and blood trailing down from my muzzle.

   We shouldn't have left.

  "Mom! Dad!" I call out through the mind link as I reach my house. Swiftly running up the steps, I burst through the  front door. "Mom! Dad!" I yell out once more but silence is all I get in return. All of the lights are turned off and there's no sign of them. I check the dark kitchen and upstairs but they aren't there either. Panic rushes through me as I struggle to take more breaths. They've got to be asking around for me because I know they wouldn't just leave and run off without me.

   In my train of thought, a hoarse growl from behind causes me to freeze. Judging by the scent I know who it is, rather what it is. I heard stories of them as a kid but never actually encountered one until now. I slowly turn to the angry wolf with saliva slobbering through its yellow teeth and it's green eyes lock into my dark orange ones.

    This is so not how I imagined this day would go.

   Before it gets a chance to pounce on me, I sprint through the back door and without looking back to see if it's following me. I can hear it's heavy steps right behind me as I try to loose him. Every corner I take leads me to another rogue. They're everywhere, attacking and killing every pack wolf they find. Bodies decapitated and torn apart by each passing second as heavy blood fills the air. All I see is red and the anxious feeling in my stomach doesn't make it any better. Houses, cars, trees, and just about everything I grasp are on fire. As I watch it all unfold in front of me, my mind starts to shift in slow motion and I watch my whole world come crashing down.