𝟚 | 𝟚

Mother

    "STEADY! STEADY! DON'T LET GO!! JUST A LITTLE LONGER!" Anya's voice echos in my head as she yells for me not to let go again and again

    "STEADY! STEADY! DON'T LET GO!! JUST A LITTLE LONGER!" Anya's voice echos in my head as she yells for me not to let go again and again. I can't let go. "3 more minutes! You can do this!" I can do this. Just 3 more minutes which is basically counting 60 seconds three times. I've been holding on this long, I can't let go now. I won't let go. I repeat this over and over in my head.

    I'm hanging on an overhead bar, a dead hang at that, 7 feet in the air for what's already been 17 minutes now. My arms grow numb and everything around me begins spinning with each passing second. Sweat drops from every pore on my body and my drench, sticky clothes are practically sucking in my body. I feel like meat on a stick, well in my case hanging on one, being cook under the scorching sun above us, making it all the more exhausting.

     "Come on girl, one minute left. Don't drop now." Willa also pitches in with her usual encouragement from below next to Willa but her voice along with every other sound is follow with an echo along with my own thoughts. She's yelling out more words but they blur together so I'm unable to make out her she's saying. Frankly I'm too tired to try. All I know is they're to help keep me motivated.

  Eventually, my hands grow slippery as I struggle to hold on. Just a little longer. Just a little...longer. Suddenly with no strength left, my pinky lose hold of the bar, then another finger, and another before I slowly start to slip off. I try to hang on but my sweaty palms deceive me and my arms finally give out. Luckily Anya's loud timer rings right as I finally let go and roughly fall to the ground. Landing on my back, I wince at the painful contact. As embarrassingly painful as it is, I did it. I DID IT!!

     "You did the full 20 minutes this time! I'm so proud of you!" Willa drops on top of me and I grunt out. "Sorry." She laughs, pulling me up to sit.

   Anya squats down to our level and hands me a water bottle which I begin chugging it down like I've experienced an apocalypse and it's the last one in the world. "You did great. You've made me proud." She pats me on the back while wiping the grass off my shirt.

    Tossing aside the crunch up bottle, my heavy breaths dial down back to normal and the earth is no longer spinning out of its orbit. My arms feel heavy and if I could detach them to get the weight off, I certainly would. Fortunately, it'll take a minute or two for them to feel back to normal anyway.

      "Come on." Willa pulls me back up. She interlocks her arm around mines as we walk back to the pack house. As we step foot in the house, the cool air in the instantly welcomes us in. It's so cold, my clothes and wet hair are beginning to dry in place.

    "Hey champ, Beta Willa, and the love of my life." Lincoln greets us as he comes downstairs. He comes over with his eyes dead set on Anya before wrapping his arms around her. He playfully spins her up in the hug and she shrieks in laughter.