𝟘 | 𝟟

Optimistic

   "You're the daughter of the beta honey, you need to start being more responsible

"You're the daughter of the beta honey, you need to start being more responsible."

"I am responsible dad, but don't you guys think you're making a big deal out of this!"

"We're make a big deal?" Dad's voice gets louder.

"Yes! Dad, I get that I have to step up as beta sooner or later but that's not for while, okay I still have time to have fun and live my life." I rant angrily. We're arguing back and forth in the middle of the living room for what might've be 10 minutes and mom's sitting on the couch watching it all unfold. Mom's always been the chill one in these situation, listening and not taking anyone's side. "Mom back me up here."

"You're about to be 21 in a month, you're time for fun is almost over so you need to start acting like it!" Dad growls and I look away giving up. We've had this same conversation since I turned 18 and it'll probably never stop until the beta role is finally passed to me.

I crouch down by the door putting my sock and shoes on. I need to get out of here and go somewhere to cool down and clear my head.

"Where're you going!" Dad asks. I ignore him because of how pissed I am to care about what he has to say. "Elysia Kingston, I know you can hear me!"

"I'm going to Mya's I'll be back in 10!" I slam the door shut before he can get the chance to say another word.

Mya texted me half an hour ago saying she isn't home so I really just needed an excuse to leave the house. Salone's scratching at the surface and I don't know how long I can keep her in. I run to my shifting spot behind my house, deep into the forest. I strip out of my clothes, fold them neatly, and lay them next to a tree. The tree has a few branches sticking out making it different from the rest so I can remember where I leave my clothes.

Looking around, I prepare to shift. Brown fur begin to sprout out of my body. Bones break to form a whole new structure and my teeth grown into canines. Slender long legs, a muzzle, bushy tail, and erect pointed ears later, my vision becomes orange. I shake my fur and take off in a random direction. I don't know where I'm going but the farther from this pack the better. I just can't stand the sight of my parents right now.

I gasp out of my sleep and stare at the ceiling breathing heavily. It's a different part of the famous nightmare I've been having for months but it doesn't make it any less traumatizing. They're never going to stop because I'll never get my parents back and make things right. They're gone and it's my fault for leaving.

I turn to look at the alarm next to me and it's 6am. Training's at 10am and even though I'm not training with them I still have to be up at that time. Everyone's still asleep and the sun isn't even up yet.

Closing my eyes to fall back asleep, I'm greeted with nothing but my own thoughts. It'll be impossible to back asleep now. Is stare at the ceiling for what feels like an hour before trying a different method.