𝟙 | 𝟠

Warmth

   I wipe the steam off the mirror with a dry towel and stare back at my wonky reflection

   I wipe the steam off the mirror with a dry towel and stare back at my wonky reflection. Water droplets fall from the curls that escape the towel and I push them back so I can wash my face. Unwrapping the towel from my head, I pull my damp hair back into a bun and like routine, I brush my teeth.

After putting the toothbrush back in the cup holder, I take another long look in the mirror. I don't even recognize the girl who's staring back at me. My eyes are droopy with dark bags underneath them and I've gotten a little paler. Sleeping has been hard these days too. You would think being alone would be freeing and feel like a sense of release but it's been the opposite. I'm not at my full self, rather empty, thanks to the mate bond tugging at my heartstrings. I don't even remember how many days have passed since I've been on my own. All of the days are starting to blur together like when I was on the run with Nathan. The only thing that matters is staying alive.

    It's been a regular long day of doing nothing again and the sun is finally beginning to set. My legs feel the breeze of the cool house seeing as I'm only wearing a large t-shirt that drapes over me and stop just above my knees. Of course it's his old shirt that I found in his room, like everything else I've been wearing for nearly 2 and a half months. It's not like I brought any clothes with me considering I left my bags in the car with the driver before everything went south and I ran.

I panicked when the rogues found us after he made me shift again. It felt like the attack at Crescent Banes all over again and it didn't help that we were at the same exact location it took place. I made a run for it and didn't look back. Ky-who's name shall not be said, fought them off which bought me some time to get a head start. I used that time to find somewhere to hide before he could get a chance to find me. Something in me hated the fact that I didn't think to go back to help my mate. It felt wrong that he's been fighting off rogues because of me, but at the same time I was so furious with him for how he executed his dumb plan. Dude could have at least given me a damn heads up or something.

We're getting your wolf back and oh yeah, we're going to the place where you lost your family and pack members. I'll also say mean things to you to make you shift back. Sound good?

    Maybe then I would've known what I was getting myself into and what to expect.

Luckily he didn't find me first time around after I took off which surprised me. I thought there was nowhere I can hide where he couldn't find me. I didn't know it then at first but after a while I realized it was my scent. The soap I washed myself with back at Levi's pack kind of masked mine for a while until it eventually faded,  hence why he couldn't track me.

First night was one of the hardest nights I've ever experienced. I was in heat for the first time and it felt like my insides were being set on fire over and over again. Sweat seeped from every pore of my body and I practically begged the moon goddess to relieve me of the pain. It was a battle between my heart and head. My head was saying screw him and that I was strong enough to handle the pain but my heart on the other hand, was aching and needed its mate's touch. The head won of course since I was too stubborn to care about the excruciating pain and pushed it aside for my pride. It lasted for two days and I crawled into a ball and cried myself to sleep both nights. I'm just grateful other wolves didn't find me in that state of vulnerability because who knows what would've happened if they did.