Chapter 8: Serenade Me Baby

Photo of James

Oceane's POV

Day 1: Friday 1:30pm

The next town was three hours away. Levi and I have never spent longer than an hour together. We have already past our hour long ago. Being stuck in a moving death trap was probably the worst idea in the world. 

The first hour of the car ride was silent and I mean you could drop a pin and still hear it over the rattling of the car. Then I couldn't take it anymore and finally spoke up telling Levi that my radio worked. He nodded in response and then put on some awful death metal. I knew he was doing it too annoying me because he loved country music. Jeremy had once complained that country was all Levi would listen too. I wasn't going to give in, though, I lasted about another hour and then finally I snapped. 

I leaned over and changed it to classical music. Two could play at this little game. From the corner of my eye, I could see Levi clenching the steering wheel. He quickly shut off the radio and then I turned it back on. We continued this battle for two minutes. "Okay, that's it! Wave if you turn on that god damn radio again, I will rip it out without a second thought." Levi yelled as my hand was an inch away from the radio. 

"Okay, fine" I lowered my hand and looked out the window. I thought Levi and I were starting to get along, but as soon as we take three steps forward, we take one giant leap back. I sighed and leaned back in my seat. At least we only had 20 minutes left. Personally, I was surprised we lasted this long. I thought we would have been wrapped around a tree or in a ditch by now. 

"Look I can't take this silence anymore. How about we play twenty questions?" Levi asked giving me a smile. "and ask the same boring questions to each other?" I rolled my eyes. "Do you have a better idea?" Levi asked knowing full well I didn't. 

"Well, how about this, I say what I think your back story is? Like profiling like the show criminal minds, and you can tell me whether I'm wrong or right." I smiled, proud for coming up with a genius idea. 

"Sure, why not." Levi let out a sigh. I stared at him getting a feel for him and tried to push back everything I thought I knew about him. "Are you going to stare at me, or start profiling?" Levi gave a smirk. 

"I have to get a feel hold on." I said and continued to stare. When I finally gathered my thoughts I started. 

"Alright, you need to wait till I'm completely finished to jump down my throat" I waited for Levi to nod. Once he did I started. "Okay, you grew up in Texas in a small town with a loving family. You were raised on football, it's all you've ever known and have ever done. You hated moving here at first not because it was a small town but because you finally made it to football captain. You hate when people put you into the cowboy stereotype, so you put on this bad boy persona at times. You are guarded, someone hurt you and it makes you bitter to someone who doesn't see life the way you do because they remind you of that person." 

I noticed Levi's hands clench around the steering wheel, which led me to believe I stuck a cord.  "You easily trust but if someone breaks that trust you cut them off quickly without a second thought. Although underneath all of that you're a sweet, kind, and honest guy, who would do anything for his family and friends." I stopped and smiled. I was definitely right about it all. Levi kept quiet and I started to worry maybe I went too far. He let out a long breath. 

"Well, you were pretty close, but no one has ever hurt me." He smiled at me, but behind his eyes, I could tell he was lying. "So my turn now?" Levi gave me a lazy smile. "I thought you already had me figured out?" I gave him a smirk and crossed my arms. I was stalling, I didn't want him profiling me. I knew for a fact he would figure me out and that scared me. I looked out the window just to see the sign, stating we had arrived at the town. "Oh were here, at the first set of lights take a right." I shouted quickly changing the topic. 

Levi gave me a weird glance and nodded his head. I continued giving directions until we arrived. Levi stopped the car and let out a low whistle. "That's one heck of a sign you want to steal." Levi said with a smirk. Apparently the town had updated the church since the last time I had come here. The sign was now dead bolted to a metal stand and was twice the size it used to be. We got out and surveyed the sign. Up close the sign read Jesus died for our sins. "Real original" I rolled my eyes. 

 "Were going to need tools." I said with a sigh. "Why can't we go to another church?" "Because the next one is another three hours away. We have already wasted to much time." I gave Levi a pointed look. "Well, we can't take the sign in broad daylight. Looks like were wasting more time." Levi smirked at me. He was lucky I was too lazy to smack it right off his face. 

"Look we will go get the tools we need, and then do the small stuff on the list." I smiled. "Can this sign even fit in your jeep?" "Probably not but we will deal with that later." I said and waved it off. "Come on daylights burning!" I hopped into the passenger seat. Weirdly I was starting to like Levi carting me around. "You know you're bossy." Levi said as he started the car. "Yeah, I know." I shrugged. 

*** 

After spending an hour at the store buying tools, we set out to serenade a random couple. We decided to try the park first. "You really think a couple will be here?" Levi asked while he parked the car. "Levi, you need to understand something about the list, They haven't generalized anything. Therefore, a couple could be two random people together, not necessarily two people who are dating!" I smiled and hopped out of the car. "Wow, I guess I never thought of it like that." Levi smiled at me. I started to get that weird feeling in my tummy as I smiled back. "That's why you're the muscle and I am the brains." I said and gave him a wink. "Now come on, our only competition right now is Liz and Jeremy!" 

On our here I had done some creeping on Instagram. It turns out a lot of people ended up stuck trying to find a sand dollar. Liz and Jeremy were the only ones to catch on to what I had done. At this point, I honestly couldn't care less if I came in second, as long as I didn't lose. As we continued walking I spotted a two guys walking a dog. "Levi" I grabbed ahold of his arm. "What?" He stopped and followed where I was staring. "Oh, what are we even going to sing?" He asked looking a bit nervous now. 

"Make me wanna by Thomas Rhett." I smiled. I knew he knew the song because I heard him humming it on the drive. "Okay, do you want to film me doing it?" I asked but I was praying he would offer to do it. "No, it's fine I can do it. Besides no one wants to hear your awful singing voice." He gave me a cheeky smile. To think I thought we were moving past the snide comments. I rolled my eyes in response. 

I started the taping on Levi's phone as he began running towards the guys. As soon as Levi started singing my heart stopped, he had an amazing voice. I instantly felt myself becoming more attracted to him than I wanted to admit. This day was really starting to make me realize how wrong my judgment of him was. 

I heard the boys laughing along and one of them even screamed, "Serenade me, baby." I had a hard time holding the phone still after that, as I tried to hold in my laughter.  After he was finished I snapped some photos. I waited for him to walk over when his phone buzzed. Out of habit, I looked at the text message, completely forgetting it wasn't my phone. 

Melina: I miss you, babe. Please come and visit. 

My heart dropped to my stomach. To be honest I had no clue why it wasn't like we were dating. I mean I barely even liked the guy. Sure I found him attractive but that was it. I shook my head as Levi came up to me. I handed over his phone quickly as if it had burned my skin. He gave me a weird look. "Did you get it?" "Yeah and I got some photos. You should upload them before we do the next thing." I smiled and watched he looked at his phone. His face twisted into a disgusted look and then he quickly covered his emotion. 

He looked up and caught me staring. "What?" He snapped at me. I jumped a bit back. "nothing." I murmured and turned to walk towards the car. Maybe she was the girl who broke his heart. I couldn't be sure, but the way he just snapped meant she had to of done something to him. 

"Wait, Wave I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap like that. I'm just hungry, come on I will buy you lunch." He smiled at me. "It's okay, and really that's so nice!" I jumped into the car. After driving around Levi pulled into a McDonalds drive thru. I gave him a look. "I said I would buy you lunch. You can have anything from the value menu, and since you have been so good with the list I will even buy you a drink." He winked at me and I smacked him on the arm. "You're such an ass!" I said and gave him a death stare. "I'm only kidding, you can also get a happy meal if you chose." He gave me a cheeky smile. "haha, you're so funny."