Chapter 2: Football Anyone?

Picture of Levi

Levis P.O.V

Two days I have been stuck in this car. Two days I've had to listen to my thirteen-year-old sister go on about her recent celebrity crush. Along with my parents chatting about what a great opportunity this was. To say I was agitated was an understatement. I stared out the car window, watching the palm trees whiz by.

I missed Texas and my friends. I was just about to finally be captain of the football team, which I worked so hard for. Then my parents dropped this bomb on me. My parents did the old it will be a new start, you'll make new friends, you can be football captain at your new school. None of those things were going to happen.

I finally saw the sign, Welcome to Sandy Bay, it's swimming here. I laughed at the poor attempt at a catch phrase. "Oh look kids! Is it not beautiful" My mom said pointing at the open beach with millions of tourist on it. It may be beautiful, but it wasn't Texas that was one sure thing. I watched as the town passed by. It was definitely a tourist town, there wasn't all much here. The main street held all the amenities of the town. If you wanted to go to the movies or the mall you would have to travel 20 minutes to the next town over. I sighed and wondered if the town even had a football team. We turned down a road and entered a street through a huge gate.

"Where are we?" I asked as my parents slowed and pulled into a driveway. There was no way my great grandmother lived in a huge house, within the walls of a gated community. "Son, it's our new house." My dad replied while getting out of the car. Suddenly moving here didn't seem so bad.

I looked around at my surroundings. Most of the house's in the subdivision looked the same, big brick houses with bay windows. The only difference between my new home and the ones across the street was that I had access to the private beach out of my back door. I ran inside to grab the best room before my sister did. As I walked into the house I noticed that the main floor was an open concept. I had a clear view of the kitchen and the sliding door that opened towards the backyard and the beach. I decided to check that out later, I needed to get a better room than my sister.

I ran up the stairs and saw about 6 different doors. I beginning opening different ones to figure out which were bedrooms and which were bathrooms. I quickly figured out which was the master bedroom and picked the next biggest one. I walked towards the bay window in my room and saw I had a clear view of the beach. "Levi, Mia! Come downstairs!" My mom yelled from the stairs. I turned to walk out of the room. "No fair! You got the better room!" Mia screamed and crossed her arms. "It's not my fault you were to slow" I shrugged my shoulders and walked past her.

***

Since all of our things wouldn't be delivered until tomorrow we decided to go out for dinner. As we walked into a local diner, I could feel all eyes on us. I guess word travels fast in a small town. We sat down and waited to be served. "Hello, my names Jeremy and I will be your server. Can I get you a drink to start?" I looked over at Jeremy and realized he was about the same age as me. We ordered our drinks and he disappeared into the back.

Suddenly the door opened and a group of teenagers walked in and took a seat by the window. They were talking loudly about some party going on tonight. If I was back in Texas I would be doing exactly what they're doing. I hadn't talked to any of my friends since I left. I was still waiting to change my number on my phone, so I still couldn't use it.

"So you guy's must either be tourists or Ms. Lees family," Jeremy said waiting for a reply. "Oh wow, I guess it's true what they say about small towns," My dad said and laughed. "Were Ms. Lee's family, I'm Levi." I said and held out my hand to shake his.Jeremy looked at my extended hand and gave my a funny look. He shook my hand and smiled.