Chapter 16: Pumping Blood

Oceane's P.O.V

I woke up to the sun burning my eyes and the squawking of seagulls. I slowly opened my eyes and realized that instead of falling asleep in my comfy bed, I had somehow fallen asleep on the muskoka chair on the deck. I cursed under my breath and stood up slowly to try and stretch aching back. I walked into the house to find my dad humming a tune as he cooked pancakes. "Well, good morning. How was your sleep in the chair?" My dad smirked and I grumbled in response as I made my way to the shower.

After a long hot shower and making myself presentable for the day, I made my way back downstairs for breakfast. My brother and dad was already choking down their food like a bunch of savages. "Are you going to take a breath? Or just inhale all the food on your plate?" I asked as I slide into my seat across from my brother.

My dad laughed and wiped his face. "Where have you been all weekend sweetheart?" I stopped my fork from entering my mouth and smiled. "Oh you know around." I smiled but my dad seemed unsatisfied with that response. "Yes, I know, Maria at the coffee shop told me you were terrorizing the tourists on main street." He raised an eyebrow and I gave a sheepish smile. I just prayed Maria kept her gossiping mouth shut about how we were terrorizing the tourists. "Oh yeah, no big deal everyone just got out of hand. You know summer and everything dad." I said and quickly went back to eating. Before my dad could continue interrogating me my phone rang.

I looked down to see it was Levi and excused myself from the table. "Hey, whats up?" I asked and walked further from the kitchen. "I was looking up bungee jumping in the area and it's four hours away." Levi said with a sigh. "Okay, what's the problem we have lots of time?" I asked and was hoping to speed up this process before my dad got suspicious. "It's not the drive, were under nineteen, which means we need a parents signature on the waiver." I cursed under my breath for the second time today.

"How the hell are we going to be able to get that." I groaned and cursed the idiot who suggested it be put onto the list. "There is no way my father is going to let me do something dangerous like that." I said and looked over my shoulder to make sure he was still in the kitchen. "Look just sneak it in with a bunch of mindless papers. Just make it fast, we need to leave a.s.a.p!" Levi hung up the phone before I could even ask how I was supposed to con my dad into signing the paper. Plus he was already questioning what the hell I have been up to this weekend. I sighed and decided to go with the truth or the somewhat truth.

After printing of the waiver and taking a deep breath I walked back into the kitchen were my dad was washing the dishes. Well, it was now or never. "Dad?" He turned around and smiled at me. "Yes, daughter?" I smiled, joking was a good sign. "So, my friends are going bungee jumping later today and I was wondering if I could maybe um go?" I scratched my neck and avoided eye contact. I slide the waiver over to him and smiled sweetly as he read it over. "Why in gods name do you want to do this Oceane? Are you becoming an adrenalin junky?" "Not at all dad, its just I want to experience life before its to late and all my friends are doing it?" I pouted for added effect and his face softened before turning hard again. "Oceane, have you heard of the saying, would you jump off a bridge if all your friends were doing it? You are seriously putting that saying into action and proving you would!" I tried not to laugh at the true irony of the situation. My dad was correct but at the same time I wasn't being completely honest.

"I'm sorry I worded that wrong dad, I want to do it not because my friends are but, because I want to experience life. I want to make experiences like this before I go off to college and have to grow up." I smiled and dads face softened again. He sighed and read over the paper again. I heard my breath and waited for his verdict. I prayed it was a yes because I truly didn't have a plan B.