Chapter 3: Southern Men Are Never Gentleman

A photo of Liz!

Oceane P.O.V

I knew we should have moved, as soon as those people started throwing around that football. Liz said we would be fine, that they looked like amateurs. Apparently that was far from the truth, and now I was the one who got nailed with the football. I stared down at the beach at the culprit, who I assumed was my new neighbour.

As soon as we made eye contact he came to retrieve the ball. As he got closer I could see he had a tall frame and athletic build. His hair was a dark brown and styled in a shag. He was cute, I would give him that, but he still hit me with a football.

He stopped in front of me, I could see he had a set of deep brown eyes and looked to be about my age. I realized I was staring, as he started to form a smirk when he realized this as well.

"I believe you have my ball," He said in a thick southern drawl. Seriously that's the first thing he says? What no I'm sorry I nailed you in the head with a football? "Pardon you! But I believe you owe me an apology." I stood up to speak to him at eye level. Although I was mostly just aligned with his chest, instead of his eyes.

"Well, if I'm honest you did know we were playing, so you could have moved." He smirked. What a prick! He was no longer cute at all.

"Look if an apology will get my ball back, then I'm sorry that you weren't smart enough to move when you realized we were playing football." He pried the ball out of my hands and walked off.

"Bastard!" I screamed at him. "Actually my names Levi" He turned and winked at me. "Nice to meet you, I'm Oceane! Please feel free to move away anytime!"

"Whatever you say Wave"

I turned to Liz who was silent through the whole confrontation. "Seriously Liz, you couldn't have stood up to that prick!" I pointed at her as I began packing up my tanning things. Liz started packing up her things as well. "To be honest I found it all pretty amusing, besides I'm sure he was joking." She giggled a bit.

"Please that guy was an egotistical jerk and you know it." I stared back at him down the beach. He was acting all high and mighty about his big kick I could tell. I began walking towards the house. Liz ran to catch up to me.

"Hmm, such big words for someone who hates English so much." "Funny. Let's just forget this and head to meet the guys." I shook my head and wonder why she was my best friend.

***

We pulled up to the carnival and I got excited like a little girl again. Every year our town has a summer carnival to kick off the beginning of summer. There's a bunch of rides and carnival games. I got out of the car and nearly ran to the entrance.

"Oceane! You do this every year slow down!" Liz yelled at me as she tried to catch up to me. I rolled my eyes and stopped at the entry way as I waited for her pay. "Hurry, the cotton candy is right there!" I grabbed her hand once she reached me. I started tugging her along like a kid tugging their parent. "Oh no! we are not having a repeat of last year!"

Liz stopped dead in her tracks, forcing me to whip back. A repeat of last year, please. You throw up on a clown once and suddenly your band from cotton candy and chilli dogs.

"It was one clown! and I'm not going to mix it with chilli dogs!" I pleaded. "If I remember correctly you also throw up on me during the tea cup ride." She gave me a pointed look.

I guess that part had slipped my mind. I mean who doesn't throw up on the teacup ride? Ask the employees from Disney World, I'm sure they would agree. I gave her my best puppy dog eyes. She rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Fine, but sit beside Jason on all the rides." Liz gave me a serious face. "Thank-you!" After we got my cotton candy, we continued on our way to find the guys. After 10 minutes I finally spotted them at the Chilli dog cart. Before I walked over Liz gave me a stern look, as a reminder not to eat any chilli dogs. I nodded and ran over to the guys.

I stopped dead in my tracks. What in the hell was he doing here? And with my friends for that matter. Liz stopped to see what I was staring at. She started laughing uncontrollably and I quickly pulled her off to the side, before they realized we were there.

"Have I been rude or bad in anyway?" I said looking towards Liz, who seemed to get her laughter under control. "No, but I would say karma's getting you" She snickered. "Liz this is not funny! God is smiting me for something!" I turned to see our friends waving and walking in our direction. Liz began laughing again. "Oh, this is going to be good. Let me get this on tape." She started pulling out her phone. I grabbed it out of her hands. "Hey, no fair!" Liz shouted.

"Hey, there you are! We were just about to call you." Jeremy smiled and turned in the direction of my neighbour. "This is Levi and Levi this here is Liz-" I cut Jeremy off. "We met, unfortunately" I stated and gave a glare towards Levi. "Oh right, what was it... Wave?" He smirked. "It's Oceane" I sneered. You know like the one I dream of drowning you in. "Oh, where?" Jeremy asked, with a doe eyes expression. Liz began laughing all over again.

"He hit her with a football earlier today," Liz said in between laughing fits. Everyone began to laugh like it was the funniest thing in the world. "I'm going to get a chilli dog," I grumbled and walked back towards the chart. I could hear them fighting over who was sitting beside me on all the rides. They didn't want to get thrown up on, but little did they know I only had one person I had in mind to throw up on.

***

Two chilli dogs later and I was ready to make Levi pay. I had situated myself in between him and Jason, much to their dismay. Poor Jason he was just an innocent bystander to my revenge plan. As the teacup began to spin, I took control and spun the wheel as fast as I could. Liz's eyes began to bug out of her head.

She knew what I was doing, she began shaking her head and mouthed don't do it. I shook my head and only began spinning the teacup faster. The teacup was going at rapid speed now. I slowed, as I felt my stomach clench. It all happened in slow motion, I leaned towards Levi as I was about to throw up. Then all of a sudden the ride jerked to a stop and I threw up all over myself.

Everyone began laughing. "Teacup's round two!" Jason yelled as he pumped his arms in the air like he just scored a goal. Everyone doubled over laughing. Karma was a bitch. I got up and walked to the bathroom to try and clean it off my legs.

Thank god I choose to wear high waisted shorts, so I just had to clean off my legs, but my shirt was another story. It was definitely stained, I washed it off as best as I could. I walked out to see Liz holding out her sweater. "I shouldn't be lending you this because I told you not to do it, but you would do it for me." I gave her a grateful smile.

This was why she was my best friend. "Thank-you" I gave her a hug. She shoved me off quickly. "Ew! You smell, please keep a safe distance back." We continued through the carnival. I was banished to ride alone on any and all rides. Not even Liz would sit with me. I kept a safe distance from Levi and ignored him whenever I could. If he kept hanging around this was going to be a long painful summer.