Chapter 15: Business in the Front, Party in the Back

Oceane's P.O.V

I stood with my hands cupped together and stared at the doorbell in utter horror. I was about to enter Levi's house, the guy I basically hated since the day he threw a football at my head. Why did I have to open my big fat mouth, and proudly claim that I deserved a steak dinner. I shook my head, I was an idiot.

"Oceane? Are you coming? You realize I'm with you and, therefore you don't need to ring the doorbell." I gave him a dirty look. Way to ruin my dramatic monologue. "I'm well aware Levi—" "Then why are you staring at the doorbell like it has two heads?" I gave him a dirty look for cutting me off mid sentence. "I just don't think I should meet your parents looking like I have been stuck in a hole all day."

"You have been stuck in a hole all day though?" oh my god, were all boys this dumb? Surely, their must be some out there. "Besides, my parents have seen you countless of times. We are neighbours." He gave me a duh look and opened the door.

"Hello, I'm home!" Levi called out, as he took off his shoes. "Were in the kitchen!" I would like to say I was in awe over how beautiful and big Levi's house is, but it was basically the same as mine, just flipped. Though you could tell his mother did all the decorating because it just had a warmth about the place. I followed closely behind Levi, and looked at all the photos that hung on the walls. They were mostly family portraits and I stopped when I saw one of Levi alone.

I had to admit he was an adorable kid, he looked so innocent and young. The picture was a simple black and white shot, with him standing and smiling at the camera. I couldn't help but look closer, he wore a huge smile that lit up his eyes and his smiling was missing his two front teeth. "That's one of my favourites too." I jumped back and let out a breath. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to startle you." I smiled at Levi's mother who spoke in a sweet southern accent.

"It's okay, I'm Oceane." I held out my hand for her to shake, and she pulled me in for a hug. I was taken back at first and then I accepted it because it felt nice to receive a mothers hug again. She pulled back from the embrace and smiled. "I know who you are sugar, were neighbours of course. Your father is such a sweet man." I nodded and mumbled a thanks.

"Oh where are my manners, I'm Carol. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." I smiled at her. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well." She gave me a warm smile. "Well, follow me to the kitchen, you can help Levi set the table outside, dinner is almost ready." I nodded and followed her into a kitchen that looked exactly like mine, but it smelt like cookies and apple pie. I looked around and spotted the cookies and apple pie. I laughed remembering how my mom used to always bake cookies before guest came over to the house. She used to do it so the house smiled nice, plus then she always had dessert.

I looked out to the backyard and saw Levi and his father in deep conversation. I assumed probably about football. Levi was a spitting image of his dad, although he had his mothers hazel coloured eyes. I grabbed the plates and napkins that were set on the island and walked outside. As I walked through the sliding glass door Levi and his father turned towards me. "Well, hello their darling." Levi dad spoke in a thick southern drawl. "Hello, Mr. Jones." I smiled. Levi walked over and took the plates from my arms. "Please call me Jim." I nodded and began setting out the napkins.

A young girl ran outside and stopped short when she saw me. She squinted her eyes and tilted her head to the side. "You're our neighbour right?" I nodded and was about to speak when Jim announced the steaks were done.

Dinner seemed to go on with the usual banter of asking each other about their week, and if they had any plans for tonight. I quietly ate my mouth watering steak in silence, and tried to pretend I was paying attention. I was almost free from the dinner conversations, when Levi's sister; who I learned is named Mia, suddenly dropped the most awkward question in the entire earth. I stared at her like an idiot and then thinking I hadn't obviously heard her, she opened her mouth to repeat the question.