Chapter 14: Grave Robbers?

Oceane P.O.V

I walked out of the nursing home and felt the heat from the afternoon. I wanted to turn around and walk back into the air conditioned nursing home. I heard Levi unlock the car door and got into the passenger seat. "So this is what hell feels like." I said as I slid onto the hot leather seat that burned my thighs. The car felt like it was 400 degrees, you could tell it had been sitting out in the sun all morning.

Levi chuckled as he started the car. I felt the air condition blast on and let out a sigh as the cool air began to blow on me. "Thank god for AC." I smiled at Levi, who wore an expression full of bliss as he put his face near the vent. His eyes were close and he had a goofy smile plastered on his face.

"So what shall we do next?" I asked pulling Levi out of his little moment. "I don't know we have a list of possibilities." He said smirking. I rolled my eyes and pulled out the small paper list. I looked down realizing we only had four tasks left and it was only Saturday. "Levi! We could be done this scavenger hunt by tomorrow." I smacked his arm quickly. He rubbed his arm and glared at me.

"Sorry, I'm excited." I gave him a sheepish grin. "So quick to get rid of me darling." He gave me a wink. I rolled my eyes and looked down at the sheet again.

"Wanna rob a grave?" I said nonchalantly. "A little morbid, don't you think?" "Oh sorry, we have to find the oldest grave in a graveyard." I smiled up at him. He let out a cute chuckle and drove out of the parking lot. What the hell, cute chuckle? Why did I say that? I shook my thoughts away and focused on the road ahead.

***

We pulled up to the town cemetery and Levi put it in park. I hopped out and stood at the wrought iron gate that read Sandy Bay Cemetery. "Alright, do you want to start at that end and we will meet in the middle?" I pointed over to the side nearest to us and smiled.

"Sounds good, we will compare the oldest ones we find at the end?" Levi asked and I nodded. We walked through the gates and parted ways.

Since it was a small town, the cemetery was relatively small. It was beautiful for a cemetery, there was trees that lined the perimeter of the property. There were benches where you could sit and pathways to walk on. It was filled with flowers and you could hear the ocean lapping the shoreline. If there wasn't headstones I would assume it was a small park.

I slowly looked at the gravestones making mental notes of the oldest ones in each grave row. I was on the last row when I felt a shiver run down my spine. I focused on the grave in front of me and tried to catch my breath.

I held back my tears as I looked down at my mothers grave. I completely forgot that she was buried here. I had been so distracted that for a second I felt almost whole again. I quickly walked away because there was to much emotion attached and I felt guilty I had forgotten about her for even that little bit.

I was so distracted I wasn't watching where I was going. The next thing I knew I was in complete darkness, on my stomach. Luckily the apparent lack of boobs I have saved me from needed a nose job at sixteen. I slowly rolled over and opened my eyes. I looked up and saw the bright blue sky. I rolled my eyes left and right and saw nothing but dirt walls. Great, I was stuck in a frigging hole, in a cemetery.

All of sudden panic started to sink in. I'm in a 6ft deep hole in a cemetery. I'm in someones fucking grave! That's when I started screaming so loud I probably woke the dead. I watch Levi peak his head over the opening. "Why are you down there?" I stared at him dumbfounded. Is this guy for real?

"Oh you know, thought I would rob a grave, maybe celebrate day of the dead early this year." I made sure my voice was dripping with sarcasm and rolled my eyes. "Okay sassy pants, I will call the fire department again." "No!" I screamed. I was not calling the fire department again for another stupid reason. I truly don't understand how I keep getting myself into these situations.