Chapter 17: Food Fight!

Oceane's P.O.V

I waited for Levi to retrieve his cellphone from the staff and thanked the heavens for some time to let my mind process what had just happened. I kissed Levi and either I am crazy or he kissed me back. I groaned out loud. He was never going to shut up about this and the car ride home is going to be so awkward. I clasped into the chair behind me and put my head into my hands. I wish the floor would swallow me whole so I didn't have to endure this embarrassment.

"Ready to go?" At the sound of his voice, I shot up out of the chair. He gave me a weird look and I coughed. "Yeah, let's go." I smiled and followed him to the car. We walked to the car and I tried not to focus on the awkward silence that had fallen over us.

Once in the car, I turned to look out the window to try and find something to distract me. Levi turned on the radio to a country station, obviously trying to stop any conversation from happening. I kept my eyes focused on the blurring trees and the license plates of passing cars.

I avoided any form of eye contact and talking for two hours until the awkward silence that had settled on us began to drive me crazy. I was missing when we hated each other because at least we communicated our problems. Now all we do is sit in silence, waiting for the other person to break the silence first. I tried to listen to the soft country music in the background and snuck a glance at Levi. He seemed deep in thought as I watched him clench and unclench his jaw, almost as if he was holding back something.

I returned my gaze back to the window. "I can't take this silence anymore!" Levi shouted. Suddenly I heard the turn signal begin clicking and watched as the car pulled to the side of the road. I gulped and knew that this was going to happen at some point. As I heard Levi slide the car into park, I refused to peel my eyes away from the window. I heard him sigh and open the door. I looked away from the window and watched as Levi walked over to my side of the car. He opened the door and locked eyes with me.

"Now that you're finally looking me in the eyes, let's talk about what happened back there." Levi said and scratched the back of his neck. "I don't know, the adrenaline or fear!" I shouted and threw my hands up. "Do you like me?" I felt my cheeks go red from Levi's question. Did I like Levi? Before giving it more thought I shouted the first thing that would protect me. "No! Do you like me?" I asked and Levi shook his head no. "Okay, then let's just forget this happened and chalk it up to adrenaline." I nodded my head in agreement, happy to move from this subject. Levi walked back to the drivers side and I tried to allow myself to finally relax.

***

Levi pulled into my driveway and I quickly got out of the car. Even though we had discussed things I still felt awkward around him. I made a beeline for my house as I mumbled a quick see you later. "Oceane, wait." Levi called from behind me. I couldn't help feeling sad as I heard him call me by Oceane and not wave. Almost like he felt the shift in our relationship too. "Yeah?" I turned and faced him. He stood by my jeep and I watched the last rays of the sun hit him before they vanished behind my house. "Don't forget our reservation is at eight o'clock. So meet me out here for seven thirty." He smiled and I nodded and turned again. "Oceane, one more thing, don't forget to wear something nice." I turned back around and saw he smirking.

"Do you think I don't know how to dress nicely." I smirked back and he chuckled. He mumbled something that sounded like you always dress nicely before speaking louder. "I was just letting you know." "Okay, meet you here in two hours." With that, I walked into my house. Once the door was shut I leaned against it and slide down. I was happy we had somehow managed to joke, and it gave me hope we could go back to being friends. Yet something in me kept questioning, do I want to go back to being friends?