7. Periods

What have I done! I don't know why but his family makes me feel safe around them

What have I done! I don't know why but his family makes me feel safe around them. I feel that I can trust them but I can't. Atleast not yet.

After spilling my secrets which I now regret, everybody left the room except Canzone. He picked me up and took me to the bathroom. He placed me on the counter top and took out a first aid box from the cabinet in the vanity.

"I'm sorry." I had to say it. I hated lying so much, only because of Nexen. He made me lie to people and made me hate myself.

Canzone was surprised when I apologised. I could notice the confusion on his face.

"For lying to you" I said as he nodded and slowly took out the glass pieces embedded in my foot.

"My mother always says that 'chi mente per il bene degli altri e per alleviare il dolore altrui, non è un bugiardo ma un salvatore'." (those who lie for the betterment of others and to help ease other person's pain, isn't a liar but a saviour.) He said while wrapping my foot in bandage. Despite of being a very good assassin and a mafia leader, he had very smooth and calming hands, maybe displaying how good he was with his work, but I expected them to have a rough texture.

"Thank you." I whispered making him look into my eyes but his eyes suddenly went to my lips and again redirecting to my eyes.

"I'll be going now, have a nice sleep." He said as he went to open the door and I chuckled.

He turned to look at me with his eyebrows raised and asked, "What is it?" I got off the counter.

"The sleep part. I have insomnia ever since I was 6." I replied to his question and exited the bathroom only to be turned around by a grip on my wrist. I turned around to see sadness and anger in Canzone's eyes as he asked.

"Is it because of the ummm... incident?" He asked me indirectly and I nodded my head.

"Yeah, the trauma was huge and took my bloody sleep away." I chuckled, entering the room.

"I'm gonna leave but just last question. What do you do the whole night?" He asked me making his way to the front door.

"Just the usual, sometimes I would go on a mission, and when there's no mission then there's always a book waiting to be read." I said and Canzone nodded as I picked up the last glass pieces on the floor.

"I'll be going now, have fun reading and please don't break any more of my bourbons. You know what, can I just take them? My cellar feels empty." He asked making me chuckle. I could see the innocence in his eyes and eventually nodded my head, mumbling a 'sure'.

He took the bottles and I apologised for breaking a few. I went to get refreshed, so, I took a cold shower, brushed my teeth, changed into comfy clothes and picked up the same book which I had been reading. Kaa was already asleep in the bed, so, I tiptoed to the bed, not wanting her to wake up since she has very nice hearing. Once I reached the bed and got into a comfortable position, I started reading the book but couldn't concentrate on it. Thoughts of today's events roamed in my head and I came across Mancuso's dead body which made me smile in relief. Just one more to go.