❤14❤

VEER

She was crying continuously looking at the ICU door. Dadu held her shattered self trying to console her with his unsure words. Even he looked disoriented. Just in a few days, they have become the best of friends, and seeing your friend on the death bed is the worst feeling ever. The urge to pull them back to yourself fills the heart with helplessness.
Tears were threatening to fall from Dadu's eyes. He looked equally disturbed.

It was her biggest fear to leave her Beeji. I remember once she told me that she was closest to her Beeji. When she was young and her parents used to be busy with work it was Beeji who used to spend time with her. Over the years, they grew closer. They share the deepest bond I know of. She can do anything and everything for her Grandmother.

Looking at her tear-stained face, I felt my heart getting pierced. I don't like her tears and I hate myself for it. Her tears, Her sad face should not affect me but it does.
I quickly turned my face away from her not wanting to look at her vulnerable face.

An hour or two later, Doctor came out of the ICU. We stood before him with our hearts in our mouths. Our ears were not ready to hear anything bad. We were expecting him to say something relieving and he did.
"She is stable now. You can meet her after some time. Take care of her and keep her away from any kind of stress " he said with a small smile. It felt like the life sucked out of our bodies was refilled again into our bodies. We nodded at his words and he left. 

Suhani and Dadu thanked Waheguru for saving Beeji. They looked relieved even if there was a line of worry on their foreheads. Beeji is indeed precious.  After some time, we were allowed to meet her. Suhani ran into her hugging her pale body dearly. She peppered her face with kisses holding her hand close to her heart. "You scared me Beeji".  She cried complaining like a child to which Beeji smiled weakly at her, "I am not going anywhere before seeing both of your marriage my babies" she said chuckling a little.

"I am not going anywhere leaving you" Suhani snuggled into Beeji's weak body and she caressed her head affectionately.

"You both agreed to marriage ?" She asked remembering it suddenly. I looked at Suhani who was already staring at me shocked. She didn't expect her to ask this question all of a sudden. "Of course,  Simmi Ji " Dadu smiled at her.
"Suhani?" She again asked with a beaming smile on her face. My heartbeat rose looking at Beeji's smiling face and Suhani 's head hung low. She didn't want to marry me. Gulping the saliva,  I prepared myself to convey the important news to Dadu and Beeji but words stuck in my throat looking at Suhani who meekly nodded at Beeji.

She did it for her Beeji. She did it for her health because she doesn't want to stress her out. It was clear. She would never marry me.
Not that I am dying to marry her.

"And Veer?" Beeji looked at me with the same enthusiasm. I wanted to say no but Dadu's glare and Suhani's tear-filled eyes were already thrown at me. I so hate myself for feeling this helpless. No matter how much I have this self-talk of not giving a damn about her but every time there is something that forces me to do things for her. I despise this feeling. I hate myself for still not moving on from her. And with a heavy heart, I too nodded my head.

I cursed myself for doing this. Neither she nor I would be happy in this marriage. It will be just a namesake marriage if it happens.

Beeji squealed in happiness looking at us," Now I can die peacefully". "Beeji/Simmi Ji " Suhani and Dadu glared at her offended to which she smiled at them. Suhani again hugged her close burying her face in her stomach.
Dadu went out to get Beeji something to eat.
Feeling out of the place, I decided to sit outside the ward.

How happy we were. Me and her. Without any care in our small happy world.

After our ice cream day...things become more beautiful between us. Even Vaidehi started treating me like a human after I gave her the treat of dhokla as promised.

In Classes, I would stare at her more than at books. Coincidentally I joined the same tuition too. After looking at my dropping grades, Dadu gave me two options either chittar for an hour daily or join some good coaching center and of course, I chose the latter one. Although I was sulking in the name of going to tuition classes instead of playing cricket with my friends It turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me as soon as I got to know Suhani attended the same tuition. Those two hours become my favorite time of the day.

Seeing her scooty parked under the tuition center every day would add 10 inches to my smile.

Although Vaidehi would start bickering every third day. I did nothing except pulling her hair or sometimes hiding her shoes or hiding her homework notebooks or stealing her favorite colored pens. she would scrunch her nose at my mere presence  But just one treat of dhokla and Vaidehi would melt on the floor.

Sitting exactly behind her...I was used to playing with her long braid, sometimes tucking small flowers between them which I got from our garden, I would get scolded by teachers but that would happen rarely since I did it sneakily.

We bunked the tuition and went to gurudwara a few times, our street food dates every evening after the tuition... wondering in the park before our tests. Me, Suhani, Vaidehi, aarav and Raina...we used to had great time together .

I remember one-day Vaidehi was down with fever and Aarav didn't come to tuition.
We were alone that day...and her scooty broke down.
she was worried about what to do. It was the first time she was facing something like this. She was sad too because Vaidehi was not there with her. 

She thought she was alone even when I was there. The silly girl thought I would go leaving her alone. I told her that I would drop her home and get her Scooty repaired in an hour but she was skeptical.

She was nervous, Playing with her fingers she was looking at her Scooty and then my Bike. 

I held her hand and walked toward the bike. She tried to protest but seeing the serious look on my face and she gave in.

I sat on the bike and looked directly into her eyes " Sit Suhani "  she quickly sat without arguing further.

As she held my shoulder for a tiny second something warm coated my cheeks. My heart was beating like it would come out of my chest anytime.  And for the first time in my life,  I was driving the bike as if it was a bullock cart. The Same bike used to talk to air when I rode it but with her, I wanted to go as slow as a snail. Even she was shocked at the speed of it but didn't question nevertheless. I didn't want that ride to end ever. I can never forget those 20 minutes of my life.

I dropped her at the colony gate and waited for her to get inside her house. She passed me a grateful smile which was of course reciprocated with a thousand-watt idiotic smile. She went inside the house and I left from there to get her scooty fixed.

From that day something beautiful started blossoming between us...those shy smiles every time our eyes met...those fastened heartbeats every time we touch each other accidentally...that blush when every time she would sneakily take my side in front of her friend circle. 

That was the most beautiful phase of my life... meeting two innocent hearts ..away from all pain, hurt, lies, and cheating.

How happy we were...
How beautiful were our lives at that time...

Never knew all of it was temporary and was not going to last for long.

Not seeing each other even for one day made us sad for no reason And now we don't want to see each other.

She came out of the ward wiping her eyes with her Dupatta. My eyes were already staring at her upset face. We couldn't look away from each other. Just one mistake and we are here...Not wanting to drown in her eyes like every time I shifted my painful eyes to another side. She too left without sparing me another glance.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Please ignore grammatical mistakes.

Editor:-  its_chahat_here 💖

Thanks for reading❤.