CHAPTER 16

"Beauty, without expression, tires."- Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Ashley's POV

She's going to get it from me at school. Forget the use of portable devices that make communication easy-phones- we're doing this face to face, she's going to tell me why she didn't call me when she got home.
I can't just wait to get to school, a miracle it is.

Unfortunately or should I say miraculously, our car was refusing to work this morning right when we were ready for school. The same car Dylan used on Saturday, the same car we've been using for school since forever, that same car that is barely faulty, decided it's going to take a break today, It wouldn't work.

It's shocking and hilarious at the same time. You should have seen Dylan's face when it dawned on him that we'll have to use Lucas' car, Mum's words. She asked us to let Lucas drive us to school for the time being till our car was fixed, I laughed, hard, at Dylan's expression, it was obvious he didn't like the sound of that one bit. I nearly peed in my pants for laughing too much, the only thing able to shut me up was a disapproving look from Lucas.

When it was time to enter the car, I took the backseat and immediately I entered I purposefully locked both doors leaving the passenger seat for Dylan to occupy. He sent a seat-squirming glare my way before he begrudgingly opened the passenger door of the car and entered it. I plug in my earphones and listen to a few songs before we finally get to school.

Immediately Lucas parks his car, Dylan rushes out and walks away briskly, and I snicker.

"Ash, come on." Lucas turns to me.

"Don't tell me it's not funny." I raise my brows at him.

"It's actually not." Huh?!

Of course! He wants peace.

"Oh..." I trail shutting up at once.

"I think you should try and understand him."

"Understand him?" I raise my voice a tad "How?"

"It's not easy being in the same car, sitting right next to someone you dislike, a supposed enemy." A sad look crosses his face "It's suffocating, trust me."

"So you know you're his enemy?"

"Well..." his shoulders slump "I guess he's still holding on to the past."

"That's the more reason why I'm doing what I'm doing. That way he learns to let go."

"You think?" he perks up.

"Of course." I pat his shoulders.

"I don't know..." He tightens his lips "I think it's not the right way, besides you can't force someone to let go. I think he will do so, all by himself, if he wills." he shrugs.

"Well, whatever. But I don't want you uncomfortable around him, just with the thought of him not liking you."

"Trust me, I might not be okay with things now, but then it's just a season that will pass away."

"I hope it's soon."

"I hope so, too."

"Are you sure you don't want me talking to him about it?"

"Nah, I'm good."

"Are you sure? He might listen to me."

"He'll eventually come around."

"We better get going," I say and come down from the car. Lucas mirrors my actions and locks his car.

"So... Welcome to Badaney High." I spread out my arms and motion to the school buildings.