CHAPTER 19

"There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind"- C. S Lewis.

Ashley's POV

The music plays one after another and as the current song flows through my phone, Lucas rounds the booth and takes his seat. I look up at him immediately his presence is made known. As we stared at each other without saying anything, his eyes held a look of confliction, his lips pursed. I look on, almost daring him to say anything. Seconds after, he parts his lips, an indication that he is about to speak so I pause my music.

A girl can only stay mad, but not forever.

"I've placed the order, the waiter should be here any moment from now," he says and I look away, kinda in the no-talking, still-ignoring game. Although I know it won't last long.

It's not like there's any answer to give, anyway.

"You're still not going to mind me?" He asks quizzically, "I mean I get it that you're pissed at me." He sighs, "But please stop ignoring me. It hurts...." he points at his heart. "Here."

I press play and my music comes back to life. I do it in a way that he sees clearly that I'm in no mood to talk. I  meant no harm, just did that in the hopes that it would get him to stop talking in my unresponsive state but then it didn't, shut him up, I mean.

Was so convinced I could go on with my plan till he uttered the next words, that shook me to the core. It halts my ability to think as I perk up in delight and involuntarily I pause my music, again.

"Would you stop ignoring me if I promised you a huge bowl of chocolate ice cream?"

Definitely!!! A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y!!! But he doesn't have to know that, right??!! Right!!

So instead of a yes! and a squeal of approval, I keep mute.

When he realizes that I wouldn't budge, "Please stop ignoring me," he pushes.

After debating that he's suffered enough, a grin makes its way to my face as I say the next words. "I'll hold you by that promise."

"Ha!! Finally!" He lets out a puff of breath, "I thought you wouldn't mind me ever again. Do you know how that made me feel?" He asks and I shake my head.

"Like I was walking on thorns." He grins and I let out a laugh.

"Better stick to your promise or it'll be worse next time." I threaten with a straight face.

"I won't go back on my promise, I'm a man of my word."

"Blah! Blah! Blah!"

He lifts a brow at me and flashes me a smile that says 'childish as always'.

Just then, a waiter appears with a box of pizza and one big bottle of Coca-Cola, with two empty solo cups. He places the box of pizza at the center of the table with the bottle, and the empty cups, he places before each of us.

Without wasting any time I open the pizza box.

"Mmm..." I sniff the aroma emanating from the pizza and lick my lips, "I can already taste it," I mutter.

Lucas shakes his head as he laughs at me.

I playfully roll my eyes at him and with my tissue, I pick up one slice and take a huge bite. "Delicieux," I moan as it hits my taste buds.

Lucas also picks up one slice and bites into it. And that, folks, was how we spent the evening, eating to our fill.

"Thanks," I say to Lucas