CHAPTER 59

Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny - C. S Lewis

Ashley's POV

I come back to school and guess freaking what? Literally everyone was talking about a certain golden couple. It wasn't my business until I heard my boyfriends' name being mentioned as the guy and Anne as the supposed girlfriend. What was I then? Huh?

That photo has gotten more attention than its supposed to. I bet it's the root of all of this. Who the heck took the damn photo? And why the heck did he even allow her peck his cheek. I'm really tired. This, is getting on my nerves, big time.

I tilt my head to Grayson, and there he was, chatting heartily with Pierson. I exit my seat and walk towards them. I say a hello to Pierson before shifting my attention to Grayson.

"I need to talk to you."

"Okay." He says.

I walk off and he trails after me, following my lead. I lead him into an empty classroom. After shutting the door behind us, I turn to face him, folding my arms.

"You've heard the rumor going round, right?" I ask.

"Uhm... yeah."

"They're saying Anne and you are a couple. It's literally everywhere, what am I to you now, then?"

He takes a step forward and I take one back, "You're my girlfriend, of course, and she's not. It's all just rumors and they aren't even true. It's all because of th-a-t photo."

"You know what? I didn't like Anne from start and I still don't like her, call it some sort of feminine instinct or whatever. She is conniving, it won't baffle me if she's the reason behind all of this. She likes you."

A frown marres his beautiful face as confusion draws his features, "Y-e-ah, I'm her friend, of course she likes me."

I scoff, "She likes you more than a friend should, can't you see the signs."

"I d-o-n't think so."

"You don't think so, sure you wouldn't, you're just too good. It's obvious she likes you and is doing her best to make sure that you'd like her back."

"But I don't like her."

"Mmmhh..."

"You don't believe me?"

"Why'd you let her peck your cheek?"

"It was just a friendly thing but I know better now, I won't let her anymore, I'm going to keep my distance, I just need you to trust me." He closes the space between us and this time around, I remain in my spot. He lowers his head to give my forehead a light kiss, lips lingering.

My heart warms up, heart soaring to the sky. I smile.

"What are we going to do... about the rumor?" I voice out my fear.

"Fight it, don't let it get to you. People like talking so let them, we'll be graduating soon anyway. Just, don't believe whatever they say."

I sigh, "I'll try."

He pulls away, "Let's go have some snacks before the bell finally goes."

I nod my head in response.

_ _

"I want to drive with Lucas today, see you." I peck his cheek briskly and ran off to Lucas who looked like he would drive off any moment from now, "Bye."

When I get to where his car is, I waste no time in opening the front door. When I sit he looks up at me boredly, "You aren't riding with your boyfriend today?"