CHAPTER 24

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage - Anais Nin

Grayson's POV

My next lines, what was it again?

When Cathy makes a spring, Heathcliff catches her and flungs himself into the nearest seat, gathering her into his arms in a tight embrace. He covers her with frantic caresses and wildly, he says his next words.

But immediately Ashley flung herself and I caught her in an embrace, I forgot how to think, all I could think of was she in my arms and nothing else. My breathing becomes erratic as my heart thumps loudly in my chest at how intimate we are at the moment.

The next lines, I'm to utter them. What's it again?

You...

You, what?

I think I do remember now.

Clearing my throat, I part my lips and utter, "You teach me now how cruel you've been— cruel and false. Why did you despise me? Why did you betray your own heart, Cathy? I have not one word of comfort. You deserve this. You have killed yourself. Yes, you may kiss me, and cry; and wring out my kisses and tears: they'll blight you, they'll damn you. You loved me, then what right had you to leave me." I mimic a tone of being in pain and anguish.

"Let me alone. Let me alone," Ashley utters in a whisper, "If I have done wrong, I'm dying for it. It is enough! You left me too, but I won't upbraid you! I forgive you. Forgive me!"

I pull away and look in her eyes."It is hard to forgive, and look at those eyes," I shut my eyes while rubbing my hand on her cheek, "and feel those wasted hands." I open my eyes and hold both of her hands. I lift them up to my lips and give each hand a peck."Kiss me again and don't let me see your eyes! I forgive what you have done to me. I love my murderer, but yours! How can I?" I say and hug her again, hiding my face in the crook of her neck.

It ticks and tocks.

Grudgingly I begin to pull away, slowly. Ashley notices it, I presume, and starts to pull away too. I let go of her completely, and she does the same. I look at her and we both stare into each other's eyes, my blue orbs penetrating her brown ones.

It fits her perfectly.

It allures me, I get lost in them. She bats her lashes in several blinks and I scurry back into reality, I get up from the bed and stand.

"Uhm..." I scratch the back of my neck nervously, "Let's take a break?"

She nods her head, "Yeah... sure." She gets down from the bed and heads for my door. As she passes by I grab her hand and she looks up at me, surprise clearly written on her face at my action so on instinct I release her hand.

"Sorry," I utter and she nods her head. "I was wondering if you would like to go somewhere."

She seemed taken aback, "I don't know?" She says with uncertainty.

"Anywhere at all, to maybe get some fresh air or release stress a little. We've been in here for long." I press with hopes of her accepting.

She seemed to be in thought for a while before muttering, "Okay."

I smile inwardly at her reply. Not wasting much time I pick up my keys. "Let's go," I say and I let her lead the way as I follow behind. When we reached downstairs, Pierson and Camilla were busy in a conversation. Pierson seemed to have said something funny because before we realized it, they were in fits of laughter, both of them clutching their stomachs. They're getting along pretty quickly. I looked around for Cole but he wasn't anywhere in sight.