Defense of Adrasjipe 1

Mines are hard to deal with because there is so little information on them.

- Bokutotsu Zen'u

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 25

Port of Talirisk, Arabanne Empire, Southwestern Juperia Continent

Meanwhile, in the port city of Talirisk, the closest port to Adrasjipe, the capital of the Arabanne Empire located in the southwestern part of the Juperia Continent, a fleet of eight ships consisting of the Maritime Self-Defense Force's 14th Escort Squadron of the 4th Escort Group was waiting. And in a business tent set up in the harbor, the captains of each ship and the officers of the base guard were gathered to discuss how to deal with the approaching enemy. A P-3C Orion patrol plane flying from the base airstrip had spotted the approaching Slephen fleet several hundred kilometers away.

"Let us... use the Type 66 mines!"

In preparation for the enemy attack, a certain weapon was brought into the Sagroa Base along with the 4th Escort Group. The commander of the 14th Escort Squadron, Captain Atsushi Nakadai, who also serves as the base commander, decided to use them.

"The sensor mines are completely useless against wooden sailing vessels. However, the Type 66 contact mines should work without any problem. We never experimented with them, so it is never used, but..."

The Type 66 mines are owned by the JMSDF. Naval mines are explosives that explode when a ship or submarine comes into contact with them. There are various mechanisms to trigger the detonation of a naval mine, but Type 66 mines are 'contact mines,' which detonate when a ship on the sea touches their fuse or underwater wire.

"A considerable number of Type 66 mines have been brought to this base, partly as a way of disposing of inventory to replace the existing mines. Let's lay the Type 66 mines as soon as possible."

Commander Tomomitsu Urabe, who is the captain of the frigate Sakura, recommended that they act quickly. Based on the speed of the enemy fleet, it was expected to reach Talirisk early tomorrow morning. There was not much time left.

"Alright... Sakura, Tsubaki, and Kaede, lay the mines as soon as possible. The base's planes will also be assigned to the minelaying mission. Also, request that the Arabanne Empire's government halt all civilian ship traffic!"

"Yes, sir!"

After receiving the commander's orders, the officers went about their tasks. Later, after receiving a warning from the Sagroa Base, the Arabanne Empire government issued a special order prohibiting all ships from navigating the seas in order to prevent trading ships and their military vessels from being caught by the mines.

Sakura, Off the coast of Talirisk

Type 66 mines were being released from the minelaying rail attached to a simple minelaying device on the stern of the Sakura, Tsubaki, and Kaede. In the sky, a C-130R Hercules, a propeller-driven transport aircraft, flew in from the airfield at Sagroa Base and was on a minelaying mission, as were the three ships. When a mine is dropped into the sea, the detachable part of the detonator is separated from the mine can, which is the main body of the explosive, and the depth-weight, which is detached from the detachable part of the detonator, sinks into the sea. The mooring cable, which serves as a cord connecting the mooring and the mine can, can be adjusted in length to allow the mine can to float in any desired location.

The Sakura is the namesake of the Sakura-class frigate, which was called a 3.900-ton multipurpose escort ship, and has been given anti-mine warfare capability as the number of minesweeping vessels has been reduced. Just as the name implies, these frigates are required to perform multifunctional missions.