Referendum

August 1

Washington, D.C., United States of America, Eastern Yawa Peninsula

The Special Measures Law Concerning a Referendum on the Right or Wrong of Returning to Earth has been passed by both houses of the Diet, and ballots have begun to be distributed to households in preparation for the upcoming referendum day. At the same time, the Japanese government secretly informed the leaders of the five states for foreigners living in Japan, which have been established on the Yawa Peninsula and Etorofu Island, of the inevitable fate of Japan's return, regardless of the outcome of the voting.

"This is unexpected... I never thought that by the will of God, we would be able to return to our original world."

"Yes, it is truly a miracle. Now we can return to our country!"

Robert Jefferson, the President of the United States in this world, and Lieutenant General Martin Calvin, commander of the US Armed Forces, were talking in a room of the White House. For these foreigners and their descendants, who had been forcibly separated from their homeland by the transference, the return to Earth was a miracle beyond their wildest dreams.

"It is frustrating that we cannot disclose this fact to the public for a while, but we must make preparations for their return. I ask for your cooperation."

"I understand."

Thus, the various groups connected to Japan were also making preparations for their return to Earth.

. . .

JRC Clinic, Japanese Trade Base, Lucinia, Elmstacia Empire

As a reward for defeating the Leviathan 12 years ago, Japan obtained the right to establish a trade base in this city and to mine the resources of the surrounding sea area. The trading base in Lucinia, a port city in the Elmstacia Empire, is home to about 800 Japanese. They were mainly trading company employees and their families who were dispatched to trade with the locals, Self-Defense Force officers, police officers, and post office staff to protect the security of the concession, as well as doctors and medical staff sent by the Japanese Red Cross to protect the health of the residents.

The Japanese who lived in this area, like other Japanese residents abroad, had evacuated to Japan after the City Saucer Laskant attacked the east, but since the Elmstacia Empire was not attacked by Elmerand, the base built here was one of the few remaining active trading bases for Japan.

"Shibata-sensei. I hear there's a big commotion on the mainland."

"I heard, Kanemitsu-sensei. I heard that Japan is going to return to Earth."

Two doctors were talking in a room of a clinic. The referendum on whether or not Japan should return had been announced to the Japanese living abroad in distant lands.

"Well... either way, I'm not going back to Earth."

Shibata was not interested in the vote itself, because he did not care much about his homeland, whether Japan would disappear or not.

"Are you serious? If Japan disappears... you won't be able to receive any more support from the SDF and the government."

"I'm determined to uplift the standard of health care in this world. I have to stay for that..."

Shibata had decided to devote his life to the development of medical care in Terralus. For this reason, he had been giving medical lectures to local healers and provided treatment to the local people, and his activities had been featured in the World Magic Telecommunications Company, making his name known worldwide.