29

"I'll just avoid James

"I'll just avoid James. He's probably angry at me for chewing him out, and hopefully he'll avoid me as well." Lorelei said while tapping her wand against her hair, changing the style.

"Honestly," Melissa started, "I'm proud of you for setting the boundary with him that if you two will be friends he has to grow past pranking people for amusement."

Settling on a ponytail Lorelei set her wand down. "It's probably better this way anyway."

Walking in while putting in earrings, Liz joined the conversation, "Yeah, I mean, honestly. Now you won't have to feel guilty about the project, you can just move on."

"Ooh, you could go for Black? Wasn't he the other option?" Melissa asked.

"No. I'm absolutely done with Gryffindor boys for the moment." She gave a harsh chuckle, "I think the project is being shelved for a moment."

Liz laughed and grabbed a pair of earrings off Lorelei's nightstand, "Oh come on Lori, we're going to a party. That's practically the perfect time to snog people." Walking over, Liz helped Lorelei put the earrings in.

"It's a birthday party. I'm not going to steal the attention from Lily for a quick snog." Lorelei said, moving away from the mirror and walking to the door to their dorm, "Are you ready to go?"

Together the three Ravenclaws walked to the Gryffindor common room where Lily opened the door, "Hi! Come in," Stepping aside, the redhead motioned for the girls to enter. The gryffindor common room was decked out in streamers and balloons. On the far left side a long table held snacks they must have gotten from the kitchen, and in the center of the table stood a three tiered cake with Lily's names written across the front in thick red icing.

The main area of the room had been converted into a dancing area, while the sides of the room held people eating, talking, or just standing. Bodies filled the dancing area while a song Lorelei didn't know blasted through the room.

"I'm sorry it's a bit chaotic in here!" Lily yelled over the music, "Cake cutting will be in three hours! Until then, have fun!" Merging into the ever growing crowd, Melissa and Liz motioned with their hands toward the snack table. Motioning for them to go without her, Lorelei moved toward the drink table.

Mary manned the table, "Lorelei!" She greeted, smiling widely, "What drink do you want?" Pointing at each bowl she listed, "We have water, butterbeer, firewhisky, and mystery mix."

Nodding her head at the mystery mix, she asked, "What's in it?"

Shrugging, Mary answered, "Who knows? Only Lily and the house elves know."

Nodding with her brows furrowed, she pointed at the firewhisky, "Pour me a cup, would you?"

"A whole cup?" Although she verbally questioned her, Mary obliged.

Lorelei scrunched her nose as she grabbed the cup from the gryffindor girl. "I'm not exactly having the best day so," lifting the cup in cheers, she downed half the cup. Nodding at Mary, she moved out of the way for more people to get drinks.

Burning it's way down her throat, her adrenaline rushed and whatever charm they put in firewhisky settled into her stomach as she finished the cup.

Her anxiety melted off her shoulders, and she felt the urge to join in on the fun others were having while dancing. Joining the huddle of bodies, she found Liz and Lily dancing together in the center of the floor.

Dancing together with her friends, Lorelei had a hard time remembering how upset she had been just a day prior.

She found herself laughing and dancing as the songs changed, she hadn't even realized how much time had passed until Lily looked at the clock on the far wall and said loud enough that Lorelei heard over the music, "Oh shit." Branching off, Lily walked over to the snack table and stood on a chair. Using her wand to project her voice she said, "Anyone who is sober enough to watch the cake cutting, come over."

Lorelei blinked through the fog she felt still clouding her senses. Looking at the clock on the wall, she saw it had indeed been three hours since she'd arrived. "Where's Melissa?" Lorelei yelled to Liz.

"I left her on one of the couches with Alice. She was already sitting with Frank." Liz smiled, "Apparently he can't handle his alcohol."

Lorelei smiled back and together they walked to the snack table where Marlene was lighting seventeen candles on her cake. "Happy birthday to you," Marlene started singing, slowly the crowd joined in, "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Lily. Happy birthday to you."

Applause rippled through the crowd as Lily blew out the candles. Cutting the cake, Lily started placing slices on plates for guests to grab. Lorelei approached behind her and placed her hand on her back, "Happy birthday Lily!" She yelled, the music still too loud for quiet conversation.

"Thank you!" Lily called to her as Lorelei grabbed a plate of cake. As she grabbed a fork she caught a glimpse of the red couch in the corner holding Alice, Frank, and Melissa.

Melissa was laughing and playing a game of wizards chess with a random person Lorelei only could see the back of. Alice and Frank were very close to each other, deep in conversation.

Smiling that she knew her friends were having a good time she walked over to Liz.

Passing the plate to Liz, Lorelei took one bite and let her friend eat the rest, "I'm just not that hungry right now, will you finish this for me?" Lorelei said, getting close to Liz's ear.

Leaving the cake with Liz, Lorelei felt the once strong effects of firewhisky loosen its strength. Leading her back to the drink table, she got another cup from Mary.

A small headache buzzed in her ears as she pulled her hair out of the ponytail it had been trapped in, immediately feeling pressure release. Sipping from her cup, Lorelei drank away the rest of the headache.

Now rejuvenated with liquid courage, Lorelei roamed the perimeter of the room. About a third of the party had cleared out after the birthday song, and the music had shifted from intense party music to more chill, but still upbeat pop music.

Not watching where she was going, she bumped into a tall figure, spilling firewhisky on both of them, "I'm so sorry, I-" Lorelei looked up from the mess on the floor into the face of her victim.

"Lorelei? What are you doing here?"