72

Flooing back to her apartment, Lorelei made a beeline for her room to drop off her bag

"Lorelei?" Liz called from the living room.

"Yeah?" She called back as she pulled open her door, only to find James sitting on her bed.

Liz joined her in the doorway, "Uh, James is here."

"Thanks for the heads up." She replied sarcastically before walking into the room.

Liz closed the door behind her.

James stood. "Hi."

"What are you doing here?"

"I haven't seen you in over two weeks."

"That wasn't an accident."

Taking a deep breath, James broke eye contact. "I know you don't think I should have accepted Dumbledore's task. But I didn't think it was as big of a deal as you clearly think it was."

She tossed her bag on the floor before taking a calm step toward him. "I wanted some time to think."

"About?" He asked.

Lorelei sighed and rubbed her eyes. "I know you trust Dumbledore, James. But I don't."

"Lorelei, the Order is important, we're making a real difference against Voldemort. Dumbledore, and everyone in the order, will be regarded as heros."

"James, when I joined the Order I didn't know what he was asking from me. Everyone we know who joined the Order joined while we were still in school." Swallowing her spit, Lorelei gathered courage to speak her mind, even if it was only a whisper. "The only thing that gave you heart enough to get out of your stupor was an assignment from Dumbledore."

James crossed his arms. "The Order is important, Lorelei."

"I stayed by your side for weeks James. And nothing I did or said helped you at all." Tears built up in her lower eyelid. "It was frustrating that a task from the Order meant more to you then I did."

Walking toward her James placed his hands on her upper arms, "That's not it at all." Pursing his lips, James searched her eyes. "I needed a push."

Silently looking him in the eyes Lorelei placed her hands on his shoulders, and pushed.

Stumbling back, he knocked into the bed frame and fell back on the mattress.

Walking past him, Lorelei pulled a bottle of firewhiskey from her underwear drawer.

Propping up on his elbows, James raised a brow at her, "You keep alcohol in your bedroom?"

Scratching her eyebrow, Lorelei nodded and unstopped the bottle. Drinking directly from the spout, she didn't react to the burn as much as an eighteen year old should. But with artificial courage in her system, she straightened up and looked over at James. "Do you love me?"