58

Walking back to her dorm from dinner, Lorelei looked out the tall windows

Walking back to her dorm from dinner, Lorelei looked out the tall windows. The ever darkening sky shone through the windows, bathing the corridor in the colors of the sunset.

She wasn't quite alone in the corridor, about a dozen other students were scattered around, but it was quiet enough that if she closed her eyes she could pretend she was walking outside.

If curfew wasn't so close, she might have made a detour from her route to enjoy the sunset.

"Lorelei."

Opening her eyes, Lorelei was met by James's hazel eyes.

"James." She greeted back. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you." James said with a smile, holding out his map.

Only briefly glancing at the map, Lorelei looked at James as the pair grinned at one another. "Why were you looking for me?"

James spoke with confidence, slightly more confident than could be fully authentic, "I need to talk to you."

A flicker of nerves bounced in her chest. "Alright, what do we need to talk about?"

"Not here," James said, looking away from her down the hallway. Looking down at his map he located their names before walking down the corridor to their left, silently motioning for her to follow him.

Following James, Lorelei began to recognize the path they were taking. "Won't we be more easily caught in the library?" She whispered to him, checking one of the clocks on the wall. "Curfew is in ten minutes."

James paused and pulled out a slip from his pant pocket, "I have a special permission slip from McGonagall to study in the library past curfew."

Glancing at the slip, she noticed McGonagall's neat signature. "For what?"

"We have a test tomorrow and I asked." James said, a bit rushed. Pulling out his wand, James waved his wand at the parchment, whispering, "Geminio."

The paper levitated for a moment before splitting into two identical sheets of parchment. James handed her the slip, whispering another spell so his name switched to her name on the new parchment.

"I didn't know you were proficient in charms, James." Lorelei teased, looking over her 'permission slip'.

A small smirk graced James's lips as he tucked his wand away, "Only on the useful charms."

Walking into the library together, they each handed their slips to the librarian. Madam Pince scanned each slip, as thorough as always, and by whatever miracle she bought their trick - allowing the two free reign on the library.