Prologue

Crisp Autumn leaves fell from aged trees, as a nippy breeze blew by.

As most would, (Y/n) was growing all the more excited as the festivities crept closer and closer. Halloween was a few weeks away! There was nothing better than going on a sugar rampage and gorging on all the sweets you can until you throw up or pass out. Nothing beat the smell of freshly baked pies or the rich scent of hot chocolate.

(Y/n) was sprawled out on their bed, idly scrolling through their phone. Aside from obvious scams, the content didn't seem to differ one bit. Everything was the exact same; people flaunted their hand-sown costumes and bragged about how late they were going to stay out.

It struck a chord of envy with (Y/n), but it was wiped away and quickly replaced with a curiosity that threatened to eat them whole.

Their finger had scrolled further down, and they noticed a short video clip with a girl dancing in the front of a hotel. It was someone (Y/n) vaguely remembered seeing before, not someone they knew by name, but rather by face. The caption read,"Will keep you updated if I make it out alive💀"

Snickering to themself, they checked to see when the video was published.

1st September 2019

Dragging down on their phone screen, they check the current date.

12th October 2022

Clicking on the profile of the girl, they checked to see if she had uploaded, or if it were a hoax. To their surprise, the channel had been at a standstill ever since. A thought nagged at the back of their mind.

"Did she ever see the light of day again, or did something get her?"

Rubbing the thought off, they scrolled past another couple of videos of people carving pumpkins and dressing their dogs up as cliché monsters.

------

The sun sank down beneath the horizon, sending a cascade of pink and yellow hues across the horizon. Tufts of magenta dotted the sky, as gulls squawked in the distance.

(Y/n) wasn't sure where the day had gone, but they knew that they hadn't gotten over what they'd seen. Usually, it could be brushed off as a troll or a joke, but something didn't sit right with them.

The hotel they'd stood in front of had been laid abandoned, as the person who ran it was spontaneously found dead in it. Nobody related to him would accept the ownership of the hotel, and they told the emergency services to not retrieve his body. Still, to that day, nobody has heard from the family, as they fled as far as they could once the hotel had been left abandoned.

Rumours began to circulate that no, the hotel was not abandoned. It was inferred that something, or someone, was within those walls. But, no one ever dared to check. The clattering of silverware or the creaking of wood was often reported coming from the establishment, but there was nobody to blame for it.

Another popular rumour was that the owner himself wasn't even human, and had a freak show of humanoids living there. Some claimed they were experiments, others claimed they were extra terrestrials who were good friends of the owner.

The best known rumour was that the owner was keeping entities hidden in the hotel. It was never specified what, but just that they were a threat to mankind. It was also never speculated how he obtained these "entities", and many continued to guess until they came close to the truth. But the owner never confirmed nor denied anything said.

(Y/n) laid their pillow flat against their mattress, ghosting a hand over it to feel it was the cold side. Resting their head on it, they could feel the goosebumps rippled across their skin, as the thoughts refused to lay to rest.

The curiosity bit into them at first, slowly enjoying them like a morsel, but now it ravaged them whole, consuming them whole but painfully slowly. And there was no way to satiate that hunger, that desire to know what lay behind the double doors of the hotel, without setting foot into the hotel. So, it was decided.

Come the following day, they would enter the hotel and see for themselves what secrets laid behind the doors.