Breadsticks

Even if Figure had killed a human, (Y/n) was worried about it. A confliction sparked, and (Y/n) didn't know if they should be pitying it or fearing it.

What if it killed them in their sleep? Or maybe, it slept in a separate room because it was fighting its bloodlust? Maybe it was fighting itself for change, but now (Y/n) would never know.

The trio continued, Rush silently hovering beside them. He'd taken everything in and tried to fathom it out but couldn't. To say he wasn't particularly close to their former boss was a blatant lie, but to say he was didn't get any closer to the truth; at most, their relationship was purely professional and nothing else.

The mood was permanently altered by the argument, and even the Screech awakening with an adorable yawn couldn't brighten it up.

(Y/n) took Screech out of their pocket and held it in both hands, in front of their face. It didn't recoil or move; it stared into their gaze, a large smile on its inky face. (Y/n) tried communicating with it, but it didn't seem very vocal.

"Hey little guy!" (Y/n) cooed, rubbing their thumbs on its cheeks," How are you?"

Blank eyes were fixed onto (Y/n), but no verbal response. Gaining motion, its tentacles wafted the air above, as though life were breathed back into it after its nap.

Seek continued its silence, not bothered in the slightest. Screech awakening didn't mean anything to it, and it viewed Screech as nothing but a hazard. Even if it persistently harassed and bit Seek, it was better than Figure.

"Hi, I'm (Y/n)!" (Y/n) announced to it in a soft tone of voice, trying to get Screech to communicate.

No, Screech wasn't too confident in communicating, and left (Y/n) to speak to Rush.

Tucking Screech back into their pocket, (Y/n) turned to Rush for some answers,"Is Seek okay?"

"I don't think you'd be too pleased if you found your best friend responsible for the murder of your dad." Rush sarcastically remarked, making no eye contact," I never knew the guy personally, but he put a roof over our heads and treat us like normal people."

Hanging their head shamefully, (Y/n) speculated about how miserable Seek could be feeling but didn't want to leave Rush all alone. The loss impacted every entity in the hotel, and (Y/n) could infer it did some more than others.

Darkening, the sky signalled the day was reaching its end. Was it really the end of the third day? Or maybe it was their fourth, (Y/n) didn't care to count anymore.

A terrible pain in (Y/n)'s stomach hurt them to no end, and they realised it had been days since they'd eaten. But, what in the hotel was there to eat?

A disruptive gurgling sound kept (Y/n) from their thoughts. Embarrassed, (Y/n) covered their face.

"How stupid of me; humans need nourishment." Seek absentmindedly scolded itself," There should be a pantry somewhere nearby, I'm sure of it."

By the sound of it, Seek was putting its energy into the task at hand to distract from the feeling of betrayal. Strangely enough, (Y/n) could relate to the feeling.

Growing stronger, the pain in (Y/n)'s abdomen worsened to the extent where they felt they were going to collapse. They'd assumed the hotel had a strange effect on them, as they didn't feel tired or hungry, just an intense pain; it was as though they were in a game, and their hunger didn't mean anything except a decreasing health bar.

Practically melting into a puddle, Seek scavenged elsewhere hurriedly. Awkwardly, Rush stayed by their side in an effort to try and aid (Y/n). Their vision grew blurred, and then everything went blank, essentially nothingness.

*

Fighting heavy eyelids, (Y/n) woke up to an empty bedroom. Nobody was in sight, and (Y/n) couldn't help but sense something was off. Whenever nobody was around, something happened, and they didn't want to risk it.

"H-Hello?" (Y/n)'s voice was terribly weak, and it came out as less of a shout than it did a whimper," Is anyone there?"

The Screech poked its head out of their pocket, only now wanting to speak," The others left to go get food."

"F-F-Finally!" They squeaked, their voice shaky and high," You spoke."

Its white stare was trained onto (Y/n),"You're not well, are you? You look sick."

The way it spoke reminded (Y/n) of a young child, one who would often play games and run around, full of energy. Wariness was in its voice, and it pulled at (Y/n)'s heartstrings," I'm fine, I promised."

"The last time Seek told me that, I found them crying behind a bookshelf." It stated, its words pitiful and empathetic.

Expressing sympathy, (Y/n) asked," What was Seek crying about?"

"They were crying about a 'loss', but they didn't tell me what that meant. Do you know what that means?" Screech's childish tone had (Y/n) on the verge of tears.

No, the words weren't meant in a mocking way, but instead an oblivious one," I'm sorry, but I don't know what that means."

Pensive, Screech looked down at the blankets before hovering out of the pocket it was restricted to, curling its tentacles around them in a hug," When Seek gets sad, they like to be hugged. They don't say it, but it's the only time I can hug them without being shoved off.

(Y/n) didn't know how long they were held like that, not that there was anything to complain about, before Seek entered the room with some breadsticks. Handing them to (Y/n), it urged them to eat, which they obeyed.

"You might want to save them, since we couldn't find anything else." Seek advised, patting Screech on the head.

"We?" (Y/n) repeated, swallowing a breadstick.

Gesturing under the bed, Seek continued," Hide was in the pantry and found these for you. They were the only thing in date, surprisingly."

(Y/n) chuckled," When I get out of here, I'll go shopping and get you guys some food. Then, you won't need to eat humans."

Seek, though still pretty agitated by the former news, beamed at (Y/n)," Sounds good."