Guarded

Morning drew on the horizon, and (Y/n)'s weary eyes were fixed on the thin line. Sleep; they just couldn't bring themself to do it. Something was haunting them, and they didn't know what.

Their mother was busy at work, after taking Halloween and the first day of November off.

Something stirred in their gut, nothing negative but nothing positive. If anything, it was both simultaneously.

Dragging their exhausted body off of their bed, they hauled themself down the stairs for a bowl of cereal. Getting the box from their pantry, they felt their hunger leave them, as if they were too excited or miserable to eat.

I think I just miss the others.

Putting it back into position, they decided on what they wanted to do that day. Bolting upstairs, they changed clothes and put Screech in their pocket. Exiting the house, they locked the door and took their house key.

Breathing in the morning air, they allowed the chilling winter breeze to caress their skin. The wind toyed with their hair, messing it up.

(Y/n) set off for the hotel to be stopped by police officers when they got there. Cops surrounded the bridge, restricting anyone from going onto the property.

"What's going on?" (Y/n) faked ignorance, knowing full well what was going on.

A male police officer, different from the one they held a grudge against, responded,"Trespassers on this property, that's what's going on. Too many people are going into this here hotel and we've been contacted to restrict access to the hotel for the public."

(Y/n)'s face dropped,"B-But I left something in there!"

Tutting, the officer shook his head,"Well, there are officers in there, scouting the area for any.."

Taking some reading glasses from his pocket, he put them on and squinted his eyes at a piece of paper he was holding,"'Paranormal/extraterrestrial beings' as its been put."

(Y/n)'s eyes widened. What if they found the entities, what would they do with them?

"Actually, they're just rumours. Who needs to believe them, am I right? Someone wanted to make folklore for our village by writing a legend." (Y/n) sniggered, casting their view elsewhere as to not look shifty.

The officer shook his head,"One of our officers reported seeing a large creature in there, approximately eight feet tall, with nothing but a mouth for a face. As well as an inky humanoid with one eye, who can supposedly put eyes on the walls."

"Seek and Figure.." (Y/n) muttered under their breath, getting cop's attention.

Only now, the officer remember who (Y/n) was,"Oh my god, you're the child who went missing in there, aren't you? I thought I recognized you. If there are monsters in there, you can tell me."

"No, no I can't. Because...because there isn't. I-I know because I went through the whole place...a-and I found nothing but pencils and old pieces of paper." (Y/n) stammered out, dipping their hand in their pocket to pet Screech,"You won't find anything."

As (Y/n) said that, a party of five emerged from the hotel, dragging Figure out with them.

Seeing Figure being manhandled like that broke their heart, and they couldn't forgive them.

At the front, however, was the officer they held a grudge against: the, unbeknownst to them, descendant of the one who killed the owner. 

Figure resisted, getting a shock in the leg from the man; he took pleasure in seeing Figure suffer.

Racing forwards, (Y/n) approached Figure,"Are you alright?"

It didn't speak, it didn't want the humans to know it could. If they did, what else would they do to it?

Whacking Figure in the leg with a baton, the officer forced it to kneel before him like he were a god,"Speak!"

Shoving the officers off of Figure, they blocked it. Standing in front of it, they protected it, hoping no harm came to either of them.

"(Y/n)?" It purred, afraid,"Where are we?"

They fought off tears as they saw how damaged it was, its skin decorated with dark bruises and a cut or two, specifically on the legs,"We're outside the hotel."

"It's been so long..." Figure groaned, tilting its head back and enjoying the wintry breeze,"Who are they, the ones who are in front of us?"

A couple of the officers muttered to themselves, agreeing about how it was blind and couldn't see, yet knew they were in front of it.

(Y/n) spoke for it, answering their questions,"It's a creature who senses heartbeats and uses its sense of hearing to navigate. It's not a monster as you claim it is, otherwise I would've died a long time ago."

Bowing its head, Figure gripped (Y/n)'s shoulders,"They aren't going to hurt us, (Y/n), right?"

"I won't let them." (Y/n) said, gritting their teeth and glaring at the officer they hated, who'd drawn his gun to appear cooler.

"That thing is a beast, it killed my partner!" He argued, aiming his gun at it.

"No, I didn't. You shoved me over, had me on the floor and stomped on me and when she told you to stop, you'd shoved her into the bookcase, which fell and crushed her. Her blood was all over the floor, I could hear it spilling."

Scoffing at the accusation, he denied it,"Oh, what a story! Like a blind monster would know what happened."

Defending their friend, (Y/n) barked,"Figure hasn't killed anybody!"

Figure's breath was sharp when they said that, and the smirk on the officer's face widened,"Looks like you've mucked up, kiddo. You're protecting your friend, but there's something you don't know."

(Y/n) stared up at Figure, who towered above everyone,"Whatever it is, it'll probably have an explanation behind it, so try me."

"Even if I told you it killed a kid, you'd be okay? A little girl, around your age, for no reason?" He cackled, finding it humourous to one up (Y/n).

(Y/n) was silent.

Grabbing Figure's hand, they left together.

Guess I'm not seeing the others today, but I will be back.