Entering the Hotel

Startled, (Y/n) awoke with a groan. Sunlight filtered through the blinds, glistening on their half-open eyes as they widened. Their pupil dilated, as they pushed themself into a sitting position and rubbed the rest of the sleep from their eyes.

The time was 8:47, and they knew they had to be at school, but nothing could stop them from exploring the hotel. No restraint could keep them from doing it any longer. Not their parents, not their friends, not a person.

They believed packing a bag would be useful, but what was there to take? It wouldn't be an eternity, but rather a couple of hours at most. It was a hotel, so there was every chance there was already food to replenish them.

Throwing on some clothes, they rushed out of the house. A single piece of toast was clutched by their locked lips, as they ran their tongue over the plain underside; crumbs stuck to it, and it created a gritty texture.

Phone in hand, they slammed the door using their foot. Turning their attention back to the screen, they realized how the hotel was a fair distance away from the town they lived in. It was separated from the main land, and took a long bridge to reach.

When they came across the bridge, their breaths became trapped in their throat. A sweat formed on their brow, and it ran cold down their forehead. For a moment, their heart stopped, in absolute dread.

The land across was nothing short of barren. It was rocky, sharp and murky, surrounded by an enveloping fog. Only the hotel stood tall on the cliff, like an ink dot on an otherwise empty sheet of paper.

Darkening clouds surrounded above them, threatening to rain on their parade. A flash of lightning struck right behind them, and they hurried across the wooden rope bridge. Every ounce of fear drained from them, as they thudded across the bridge. Another flash of lightning struck right behind them, and the ropes tore apart. (Y/n) hurled themself forwards,  and landed flat on their chest, emptying their lungs and injuring themself.

For a moment, they lay there on the ground, breathless. There was no proper way to get back, unless someone came back for them in a helicopter or some form of aerial vehicle.

That thought didn't occur to them, as they brushed themself off and strained to get up. When they did, they froze into place.

The pristine glass of the entrance reflected their muddied face. Their hair was tangled, and there was a bead of blood on their cheek, which they rubbed off using their index finger. It smeared all over the side of their nose and up near their eye, to which they scowled at.

Inside the hotel was completely alien to them; for a building riddled with rumours, an air of mystery, it was awfully inviting.

Clambering up to their feet, (Y/n) shook off the pieces of dirt that stuck to them. Their eyes were glued to the warming lights that flickered; the hypnotizing motions of the flames upon their chandeliers. Before them was a rouge carpet that coated the main corridor. Across it were golden lines, criss-crossing  to and fro.  Elevators lined the insides of the walls, gleaming in the emitted rays.

Goosebumps riddled their skin as a gust of chilling wind overcame them, shoving them forwards. Little did they realise the doors was unlocked, and they landed on the floor in a clutter. Both doors slammed close so suddenly, rattling with the blow of the wind.

It had locked.