What's that noise?

As they pushed the door open meekly, their eyes flickered about in search for any threats. What if something that wasn't human was seeking them? At no point had they considered if there was anything hunting them, for sport or for help.

Through the crack of the door, they noticed the room was nothing but a long hallway, decorated by the mismatched bare bones of the building. Floorboards creaked overhead, and their breathing destabilised once again, becoming ragged and desperate.

Their steps were steady, slow and solitary, unaccompanied. Everything else seemed to cease as they took a step into this new area. Every so often, they'd swivel to check if something was following, to find that nothing but paranoia was stalking them.

The next door, door 002, had no lock, nor even a keyhole. It had a silver knob, that turned with relative ease. One wrist flick, and the door was open.

(Y/n) didn't know what it was they'd anticipated, but it certainly wasn't a homely setting. Aside from the constant rumbling coming from above, and the indistinct chattering of voices from below, it was a somewhat settling setting.
A gentle roar came from the open flame of a new fireplace, and two chairs circled it, as rose as the sunset. Bookshelves lined the cream walls, and a fiery crimson carpet ran beneath their boots. The room was more of an L shape, and they had to turn a corner to see the shadows the fire casted across the walls. Large patches of black streaked the room, and (Y/n) found it impossible to not be intimidated by the darkness that swallowed the room.

Door 003 was engulfed in this lightless half, and (Y/n) knew it was time to move past comfort. Now, it was less of entertainment and mostly survival.

(Y/n) noticed that this door also lacked a key, or a keyhole. A silvery knob was in its position, and (Y/n) knew it had to be turned.  

Holding their hand on it, a chill ran the length of their spine. (Y/n)'s eyes widened to their full extent, out of a cold surprise. Momentarily, (Y/n) forgot why they were doing this, why they had to face this fear to venture forth. And then they remembered it was curiosity, a ravenous, insatiable hunger for knowledge, a thirst unable to be quenched unless they drank in the sight for themself, the knowledge of what happened inside the walls of the long abandoned hotel.

A determination took over, freezing the fear and leading them on with an ignited flame. Or, phone light, as the room was noticeably darker than the last.

This next one had a total of five other doors branching off of it, four of which were boarded up by the familiar oak wood planks as before. Two windows sat at the ends of the corridor, which was littered with trolleys and luggage that was haphazardly strewn about.

The bright white light from their phone illuminated the way across, and (Y/n) felt the determination burn.

A gleam reflected off of the trolley, bringing focus to behind them. (Y/n) knew something was there.

"Psst."

(Y/n) flashed their light around, startled immensely because of whatever had made that noise.

A spherical creature, covered in an inky substance, with tentacles stemming off of it, met their gaze. It's glowing eyes stared back, like two of the distant stars in the night sky.  It's teeth were surprisingly human, and so was its mouth. From what they could see, it had some snow white skin beneath the fluid.

(Y/n) would've thought they'd screamed, but no. The creature screamed in their face, wavering their tentacles around for dear life before vanishing into the darkness again. They stood there, hopelessly lost by what was meant by any of that. They found the door they were looking for, and turned the nob to feel a jolt of pain on impact.