Seek

From the puddle arose a slender figure, consisting of the same substance it had risen from.

With one eye, it stared directly into (Y/n)'s soul. It leaned forwards, readying itself to run at them. (Y/n) began walking backwards, reaching backwards to the doorknob behind them. Unlocking the door, they spun and repeatedly slammed their feet to the ground, in an attempt to escape it.

As they ran, thudding steps sounded from the previous room. Ducking under a bookshelf, they stole a glance backwards, only to find the monster pounding towards them; it's singular eye remained locked onto (Y/n).

Crawling beneath the bookshelf, they scraped their right knee on the carpet, causing it to bleed and graze. A speck of blood was left on the golden trim of the carpet that ran underfoot.

Ahead was yet another fallen bookcase that they had to crawl under. Practically leaping underneath it, they desperately clambered forwards, to be met by a roundabout room. Three doors were before them, and they saw just one had a  blueish light. Advancing forwards, they were certain the door to their left was the correct one.

Again, another room with obstacles. More fallen bookshelves, leaned over to ensure there was room to escape underneath. As they knelt down to crawl, they took note of the blue light that they were following. A voice was leading them onwards.

Don't let Seek catch you.

Follow my light.

Do not stop.

It's footsteps echoed louder, as it drew closer. As they ran around another roundabout room, they slammed the door open so loudly that it cracked the wall it hit.

The long hallway was similar to one they'd ventured through earlier, except large, black hands waved about in an attempt to capture them. Flaming chandeliers fell from the ceiling and onto the carpet.

Bolting forwards, they went left, then right, then left again. The door lead to a normal room, and they slammed the door closed.

A heavy thud came from the hallway; it had slipped over and fallen onto the floor. It's wrist was jammed into the door, and (Y/n)'s sweat dripped cold. It's wrist was stuck in the door, and it groaned out in pain. It clenched it's hand into a fist, trying to hold back from making any noises. Shoving the door even harder, (Y/n) winced at the pained whimper it let out. Inspecting it closer, (Y/n) noticed how it's hand shook ever so slightly.

'Wait, am I hurting it?' (Y/n) thought, pushing lightly on the door.

Sympathy was the last thing (Y/n) expected to find in the hotel. Nor had they anticipated to be rescuing a monster. Wasn't it trying to kill them a second ago?

Still, that sympathy, that pity; it made them feel bad for it, despite the circumstances. Breathing in, they sighed heavily.

"If I let you go, promise me you won't kill me." (Y/n) offered, pushing the door a bit lighter.

They ensured the door was too narrow for it to escape from, but less painful. What (Y/n) didn't expect, was to have a verbal response.

"I have no intentions of killing you; you'd dropped a lighter, and I was returning it to you. You ran off, and so I thought to return it." It said, it's voice deep and humanly.

Knocked off-guard, (Y/n) stepped away from the door as the entity shoved it open with their now free hand. Falling backwards, (Y/n)'s pupils diminished as the figure rose up in front of them.

Shrinking in fear, (Y/n) scrambled backwards to the wall. Ominously, it unhurriedly trudged forwards, the room around them shaking with each step.

It was lying...I didn't drop a lighter. I didn't even have a lighter!

Glaring knowingly, (Y/n) tried to have confidence and appear unaffected, but their shakiness restrained them to the ground.

"I-I didn't even have a lighter! You liar!" They screamed, trying to stomp on the ground.

They were laid on their back, the back of their shoulders touching the wall behind. Their arms were reaching either side, and their hands loosely draped from their wrists, fingers dropped motionlessly. The only motions were the occasional twitching of their fingers, and their eyes jetting back and forth between the monster in front of them and the flames behind.

"If you're going to kill me, just do it already!" (Y/n) yelled, attempting to project in an angered tone, just to find a squeaky, fearful one to be sent across.

Knelt down on one knee, it grabbed one of their hands, opened their freezing fingers, placed their phone in it, and closed it, giving them a decent grip on it.

"This isn't a lighter.." (Y/n) mused, staring down at their phone,"This is my phone. I didn't even realise I'd dropped this."

"Well, I'm not sure what it was, but it lit up, so I assumed it was a lighter." It told them, standing upright. It offered them it's hand,"I supposed it was something you'd rather keep, especially in a place like this."

(Y/n)'s eyes narrowed, and they turned their head in an inquisitive manner,"In a place like this? What do you mean by that?"

"This hotel, it was abandoned. None of us here can fathom how to work the electrical aspects of it. Whenever the lights go out, we have no idea how to fix it." It explained, offering it's hand for them to get up.

"Uh..thanks..?"

"Oh, Seek. I go by Seek." It said, letting go of their hand,"I suppose I'm one of the few entities you've met so far."

Throwing a puzzled look, (Y/n) made it evident that they didn't know what was meant by that,"Well, no, I've not met any so far other than you. I have seen them, yes, but I don't know many by name."

Seek stared around the corner and at the next door,"Well, I suppose I could accompany you and inform you of each entity's individual abilities."

(Y/n) glared down at the floor in thought; an entity from the hotel proposed to protect them, essentially. They weren't certain if they could trust them, but they didn't want to turn it down.