𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝚂𝚘 𝚆𝚎 𝙼𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝙰𝚐𝚊𝚒𝚗 ♡︎♥︎

Weeks went by as usual and today would be no different.

Well, (Y/N) thought so anyway. She was in a great mood that day. She happily made her way through town, greeting everyone she came across and looking for nothing in particular.

She stopped at Monty's candy shop for a quick friendly chat that was rewarded with a cherry-flavoured lollipop, her favorite.

(Y/N) sat down at the fountain, when a certain ball of fur she recognized well appeared in her lap.

"Well hello there Ruddiger! Aren't you just the cutest?"

She cooed as she stroked his fur. The first time they met was just a quick glance, but (Y/N) had always had a softspot for little mischievous raccoons.

She almost, emphasis on almost, didn't notice the shadow looming over her.

"Hey you highne- I mean, (Y/N).", said Varian before sitting next to her.

"What are you up to?"

"Oh, nothing much, I have a lot of free time cause, I don't have a lot of royal duties now that Rapunzel is here. I'm not bothered though, it was hard work being the only princess. I'm glad some of that burden has been taken. How about you?"

Varian snapped out of his trance. He had to admit, she was truly captivating, especially at her best.

"Wha- Oh me? I was just running some errands, getting new materials, the usual. But I'm done now, I was about to go eat."

The (H/C) haired girl perked up at that.

"Oh! You should join me and Punzel for lunch in the castle! I've never properly introduced myself so let's start over, I'm (Y/N)."

"The name 's Varian"

"The mysterious alchemist. Enchanted. Now come on, the pastries might get cold!"

She pulled him up which made him stumble forward, but he caught himself, laughing silently.

(Y/N) ran ahead. "Last one to arrive is a rotten egg!"
.
.
.
Rapunzel was already waiting when the duo arrived.

She greeted them with a kind smile.

"Oh hello! Varian, what a nice surprise. Have a seat you two. You have to try the garlic bread I made! There's also pastries I requested from the head chef."

"You had me at garlic bread princess", said Varian, plopping down on his seat.

After the three of you finished eating, you accompanied our favourite alchemist to his house.

"Why does your house have to be so far awayyyyyyy"

"I suppose Old Corona is in the outskirts of town. But you were the one who insisted on coming along, why are you complaining?"

"Well, I couldn't just leave my dear little alchemist to go all alone", she replied, tugging on his cheek.

The alchemist pulled her hand away and crossed his arms.

"I am NOT little, thank you very much."

She only chuckled.

"Right right... my sweet little Varian."

She started laughing as she ran ahead, Varian not far behind.

"If I catch up to you, you better admit that I'm taller!" He called out, amused.

"If you manage to catch up to me. If you don't, you'll owe me a favor"

"Deal."

The two of them sped up but sadly both of them arrived at the same time. They spent a lot of time bickering about who arrived first, but settled on (Y/N) grumpily admitting that he's the tallest of the two and him owing her a favour.

She was invited into his humble abode and they decided to sit down with some hot chocolate that Ruddiger made... somehow.

"Sooo, you and Cass huh?"

Varian almost spat out his drink.

"What- How do you know?"

(Y/N) snorted.

"Well, you aren't being very subtle about it. Rapunzel noticed too, we talked about it at our last sleepover. Oh! You should definitely join sometime. Usually it's Cassandra, Rapunzel, Eugene and I."

"Wait, Rapunzel knows too?"

"Yeah obviously, with you getting all googly eyed and love-struck. Oh Cassandra m'lady, how I long to be wi-"

He cut her off.

"I do NOT sound like that."

"Do too!"

"Do not."

"Do too!"

"Do not."

"Do not!"

"Do too- dangit"

They both burst into fits of giggles.

"But sure, a sleepover sounds fun. Team Awesome would reunite! Btw, I recently..."

As he rambled on about his research and his projects, (Y/N) nodded along and couldn't help but admire his voice.

She noticed that one strand of his hair was out of place and reached forward to correct it. As she did so, he went silent and they stared at eachother for a short while.

Both of them turned away from eachother fairly fast, both flustered.

They got over the slight awkwardness quickly and Varian started to talk about his work again while she listened intently, making a few comments and remarks from time to time.

Varian felt heard, for the first time (in foreverrrrrr) in what felt like forever. Both of them ended their day on a good note, a wonderful friendship blossoming.