𝚂𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛 𝙳𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛

——————

"Clever girl."

——————

"Indeed I'm not."

Well, that was all you needed to hear.

Whether it was instinct or out of sheer fury, when the stranger approached you, you raised your hand and punched them square in the face.

The disguised person stumbled back, face slightly hidden by the shadows before they caught your stare - although it was more of a glare - and they smirked, running their tongue over their now busted upper lip.

"What did you do to Varian?"

"You pack a good punch. Gotta say, I'm impressed."

His nonchalant-ness only fueled your anger.

You didn't know him, you didn't know what he could do. For all you knew, Varian could've been dead at the bottom of a cliff somewhere.

Although you did think he was capable enough for that to not be the case.

"You didn't answer my question."

"I don't feel the need to."

"You should."

"Why don't you elaborate on that?"

Led by impulse, you raised your hand, which made for a more than pleasant surprise.

The person in front of you flung against the tree behind them and as they were seemingly unable to move, you let your hand stay in that position.

That was certainly... new.

Walking closer, you couldn't help but smile in triumph.

"That good enough for you?"

The Varian copycat grinned.

"Well aren't you full of surprises?"

"Answer my question."

They chuckled lightly.

"Calm down, your boy-toy is fine. I'm just... playing a game with him right now."

"We're not a couple."

"It's my lucky day then."

You chose to ignore his obviously flirty remarks, not wanting to give him more of a reason to continue.

And you didn't find his humor amusing, given the situation you were in.

Separated from Varian, in a giant forest, which was also unknown territory.

Yeah... maybe you should've taken the route he suggested.

But then again, a little danger never hurt you. Physically.

...We don't talk about the trauma.

"I'm assuming the game you're referring to is the same 'game' you're playing with me right now?"

"Clever girl."

"Are you going to reveal yourself or are you as dim witted as you sound?"

He faked a gasp, trying to put a hand over his chest, probably out of habit, before realizing he couldn't actually move.

You raised a brow at his feeble attempt.

It was pitiful to watch, really.

"You wound me."

"Well? I'm waiting."

"So pretty and graceful yet your words cut me deeper than any knife... I like that about you."