𝚂𝚝𝚞𝚍𝚢 𝙳𝚊𝚝𝚎 ♥︎♡︎♥︎

Had you ever mentioned that you disliked your royal studies? Well, you did. Groaning as you turned to the next page, your shoulders slumped.

Why didn't Rapunzel have to study? Sure, your parents might argue that she had been kidnapped for 18 years- yeah, no, okay it did make sense. But if you weren't the first heir to the throne anymore, why did you have to continue your studies? Well, you were close to finished anyway. You looked blankly at the page. Wait a second. You reread the title of the page. This was about magic! Magical abilities to be specific, but maybe something on this page could tell you something about yours!

Long story short, it didn't. There was barely anything about the sundrop and nothing about black rocks, nor anything related to it. At least you finished your work early. Although, now that you actually gave it a thought, why didn't you just do some research? Any information would be helpful. You didn't even know what exactly your powers did, other than cause explosions and turn black rocks white when you touch em. It really wasn't much to go by.

Which was why you decided to go to the castles library. Some of the books in the forbidden section might help you.

Your parents allowed you to go there, since you said it's to 'broaden your horizons' and to 'better understand what your sister is going through'.

Needless to say, they were delighted and granted your request. You looked through the shelves and we're ready to give up, until you spotted a book with the Sun-Drop-flower on the cover.

Picking it up like it's the most valuable object you've ever touched, you were hurrying back to your room. Until you collided with someone, making them fall.

"I am so sorry- wait, Varian?"

Books and research papers had scattered on the floor and you were quick to help him pick them up.

"Yeah, Hi. I was hoping to bump into you actually. You know how I'm still experimenting with the black rocks? I wanted to know whether you know anything about the white one. It hasn't responded to any of my chemicals. Speaking of which, you never did tell me what happened that day-"

"I was just, really sad. I needed an escape. Plus, my parents sent me to investigate a bit."

"It's just, you seemed kind of scared."

"I was just panicking, I'm alright now, really."

"If you say so."

He shrugged.

"Anyway, I still have some research I'd like to discuss with you if you'd like. Unless you're busy- you're probably busy aren't you? Just forget it then-"

"No no, I'm free."

"You are? Great! How about we sit down in the library?"

"The one in town?"

"Yep. You've been there before, right? I mean- not like I don't think you have been there, you already have the royal library here, so-"

"Works for me."

"Great! Great."

And then, you listened to what was basically a lecture on the mysterious black rocks. It was quite informative, really. Fascinating. But also very, very long. Not that you minded.

"Okay, so that's everything I've currently gathered. Do you have any books to read? Cause I was actually going to do a bit of brainstorming and uh, I was- I was gonna read a bit for that-"

"Yeah that's cool, I have some... studies to do anyway."

The book you took was informative. It was written by some guy called Demanitus and he knew a lot about the Sun Drop. This book didn't cover anything else, but some parts were in some sort of code.

If you were lucky, that meant he did write about other powers.

If you were a little less lucky, there were other books he wrote that you'd have to search for.

If you were unlucky, there was no other information he gathered and you'd have to do the gathering yourself.

After Varian left to test a sudden idea he wanted to try immediately, leaving you to your thoughts, it didn't take long for you to take the book and go back to the castle. You returned to your room and lied down.

A few hours had passed. You wrote down some theories when someone knocked on your door, actually waiting for a reply this time.

"Come in.", you called absentmindedly.

Varian entered and closed the door behind him.

"Hey (Y/N), I forgot to ask you, uh, would you like to maybe do a bit of research with me? Over at my place? I heard your parents asked you to anyway and uh, well, I have a cluster of black rocks down in my basement."

'Oh hell no' was the first thing you thought. But you had no real reason to say no, other than the fact that you were avoiding the black rocks as if they were the pest, because of some possibly disastrous powers. But you couldn't say that, and you were unable to come up with a good excuse.

"Sureee."

He glanced at what you were writing.

"Hey, is that about the sundrop?"

"Yeah."

"May I have a look?"

"Okay, go ahead"

"Interesting..."

He went quiet, handing it back to you.

"The Sun Drop is still kind of a mystery, right? I'm sure there's some science behind it, cause there's no way magic exists like pff, come on."

"With so much magic surrounding you, one would think it wouldn't be so hard for you to accept it."

"There's no such thing as magic."

"If you say so."

"That was sarcasm."

"No, what would make you say that?"

"Totally was."

You smiled.

"Anyway, let's get going!"

Working with the black rocks was interesting. Still, you didn't dare to move too close. Always stayed as far away as possible. They reacted to some elements, but never in a way you'd expect. The only thing that never happened, was the black rocks being damaged.

You honestly weren't the best at chemistry, and at first Varian just deadpanned at you. Once he actually took notice of the fact that you were just a bit clueless, he teased you endlessly.

This resulted in him laughing to the point of falling off of his chair, and you pouting, although you couldn't deny that you had a lot of fun too. You learned a lot.

As for the white rock, you didn't let Varian conduct any experiments on that. Your reasoning was

'It has already exploded once, who's to say it's not highly reactive?'

Although he wanted to test the theory he had. He thought, maybe the white rock could turn out to be some kind of infection with side effects we didn't know of yet. The white could also spread. The duo just didn't know whether there was any difference between the two rocks, other than colour and amount.

After hours of intense research, (Y/N) fell asleep. Her head had been held up by her hand, right before she doze off, arm collapsing onto the table, her head then resting on her arms as sleep enveloped her. Varian gazed at her with a certain softness. She looked peaceful, eyes closed, lips slightly parted. Warm light from the lamps lit up her face from above, making her look angelic. Ethereal, even. She breathed slowly as he pushed a few stray hairs away from her face. Varian treasured calm moments like these. He draped a blanket over her, careful to not wake her up.

"Sweet dreams Princess."