𝙱𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝚃𝚎𝚖𝚙𝚝𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜 ❤︎︎

Raindrops slowly cascaded down your window. The cold droplets hit the glass, creating a rhythmic, calming sound.

The last few weeks felt like hell.

While your father had punished neither you nor Rapunzel for your acts of treason, whether that was because he wasn't aware of the crimes you had committed or whether he chose to look over it, not like you were going to ask him, you still felt like a prisoner. A prisoner of your own mind, that is.

Many awful scenarios and bad thoughts filled your head to the brim and you were constantly under insane amounts of stress. You wondered what Varian was doing constantly. Sure, he had stabbed you in the back, but you couldn't be mad at him. After all that he had been through, his actions were understandable. Even though they did hurt you.

You just hoped that he was alright.

Everything had felt off since the day where he ran off with the sun-drop flower.

Your head was spinning, you couldn't focus. You had chosen to take a break from your studies because of that.

You were overly cautious, always on high alert.

You were suspicious of every word that was said to you and kept over-analyzing people's behavior.

All in all, you just felt... unhappy.

Your lips constantly twitched into a frown and you didn't approach people the way you usually would. The opposite actually, you tried to stay away from others.

So that night, you laid in bed, candle on your nightstand. You couldn't sleep.

While the rain was calming, yes, the lightning and thunder with accompanied it were anything but.

Now, you weren't afraid of storms. But with some wind too, it was way too loud to rest.

Thus, you picked up a book to read in the dim light. Focused on it's tale, you jumped when you heard a knock at your glass door.

You stared at it for a good few seconds. Would it be safe to open it? What were the chances of getting attacked?

'Ah, screw it.'

You walked over to the balcony slowly with light steps. You held your book to your chest, ready to use it as a weapon if necessary.

It was a really heavy book. You'd probably use it to hit the intruder on the head.

You hesitated slightly before opening the glass door.

There, on your balcony stood Varian.

"Varian? What are you doing- you know what, nevermind, you can't be here! What if someone sees you?"

You pulled him inside by the collar of his shirt.

"Woah, woah, relax. I made sure that no one saw me. Don't I even get a 'hello'? Or maybe a 'how are you'?"

"Why did you betray me?"

You were sorrowful as you spoke.

"I wouldn't call it betraying you. Ha, personally I would rather call it not telling you the whole truth. And I've told you, I am sorry for what I did. What I did to you at least. But I just did what had to be done."

"You lied to me!"

Varian shrugged his shoulders, leaning onto a chair.

"I just didn't tell you the whole truth."

"Varian you used me. You said so yourself and- and to think that I had actually believed you! So, so many people were against you but I told them they were wrong about you. You're a good person, Varian! Please don't turn into what they want me to believe you are."

"I think it's too late for that, princess. The kingdom has turned it's back on me and I will do the same."

He walked over to you with seemingly calculated steps.

You stepped back, but he had you cornered.

He took a strand of your hair, twirling it slowly.

"You know, why don't you join me?"

You scoffed. Half in disbelief, half in offense. Did he really think you'd turn your back on your kingdom that easily?

"Join you? Varian, I may not be against you but I can't go against my kingdom."

"That's a shame. We'd make a great team."

"I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to leave. Now."

You wanted nothing more than to throw yourself into Varian's arms, to tell him how much you missed him, how much you had worried for him.

But the look in his eyes told you that he'd use that weakness.

He'd always been exceptionally smart.

He sighed, letting your hair go.

"Well, look at it this way. They betrayed me, made me an outcast in our society, made me a villain before I had done anything wrong... who's to say they won't do the same to you?"

"It... it wasn't what they meant to do-"

"Wasn't it? After all, making me the villain would be a practical move. It distracts from the black rocks, gives a good scapegoat... they painted over their own betrayal anyway. No one knows what I had to go through. It's only 'Oh, poor Rapunzel got attacked by the alchemist'."

Varian walked around with fluid steps, calm and collected.

"I think it's only a matter of time. You're so indecisive, not knowing what side to pick. And with how you have defended me, it would be easy as cake for them to make you out as the bad guy as well. So unless you choose..."

"They're my family!"

"Blood is thicker than water. Do you know the full expression? It's 'the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb', meaning the literal opposite. Bonds made with people you've shed blood with are stronger than the familial ones."

Your frown deepened.

"Just because they have done something wrong doesn't mean they're bad people, they're human. I don't think they did any of what they have done wrong on purpose."

"That's where I think you're wrong, (Y/N). People are more evil than you think. ...You did always tend to see the good in people. Just, think about my words. Choose whenever you're ready. I'll wait for you, princess."

He walked out into the pouring rain once again, leaning onto the railing for a few seconds, giving you a look you couldn't decipher.

Then he jumped off.

"Varian!-"

You ran out onto the balcony and peaked over the ledge. Saying you felt glad was an understatement when you didn't see him splattered on the ground.

Oh, the alchemists and his little tricks.

You heard a chuckle from somewhere.

"Good to know you still care. Bye princess~"

And just like that, you were left alone again.

Your drenched hair was basically glued to your head, dripping with water. The dress you were wearing wasn't in a better state, having soaked up a lot of water. It stuck to your body.

But you didn't really pay that any mind.

What you were more focused on, were his last few words.

"They betrayed me...

who's to say they won't do the same to you?"

You felt crazy for even having to think about it, but...

What if he was onto something?