𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙵𝚘𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝙾𝚏 𝙽𝚘 𝚁𝚎𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚗

------------

"I'll save you if you become a damsel in distress."

------------

"I knew we shouldn't have gone here." is the first thing Varian said when he spotted the crooked sign that pointed to the forest.

'Forest Of No Return', was the name it was so lovingly given.

"No, I think we're alright. No worries, Varian, I'll save you if you become a damsel in distress."

"'A damsel in distress'- first of all, it'd be gallant or damoiseau, and second of all excuse you, I can handle myself just fine."

"Can you though? You're shaking in your boots."

"That's because it's freezing!"

You clicked your tongue and took off your cape, draping it around him.

The alchemist's cheeks were dusted red.

"Better?"

"Yes."

"Good, let's go in now."

You took his hand and pulled him along, and he just looked away to hide his face from you.

The forest was...

underwhelming to say the least.

You had been prepared for any sudden attacks, but to be completely honest, it just seemed like some random forest.

What was all the fuss about?

You hadn't walked for long when Varian shrieked and practically jumped on you.

"What's wrong?"

"Right there, in the bushes."

Some shuffling was heard before Ruddiger fell out, an apple clutched in his paws. He oozed happiness once he spotted you and Varian.

"Ruddiger! There you are you little rascal! I've missed you."

You spun him around and gave him a tight hug.

Then you turned around and looked at Varian, extremely amused.

"Not. A word."

"You were scared of Ruddiger-"

"In my defense, it could've been anything!"

"Well, yes, but it was just Ruddiger."

"I'm sure we'll come across something in here. I was just being cautious."

"You were being a scaredy-cat-"

"Was not!"

"Relax, princess, it's cute."

That shut him up. He grumbled a bit, saying things like 'Don't call me princess' as you three continued walking.

He did like your new attitude. You were much more confident now.

He totally had a thing for powerful girls. But you didn't hear that from me.

"So, Ruddiger, how did you find us?" You smiled at the raccoon. "We couldn't find you back in Old Corona."

And then the raccoon began retelling his wondrous tale, using dramatic motions and miming, while you tried to decipher his gestures, smiling widely.

Finally reaching a clearing, you put your bag down and sat down on the soft grass.