𝚂𝚎𝚌𝚛𝚎𝚝 𝙾𝚏 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚞𝚗 𝙳𝚛𝚘𝚙 𝙸𝚅

—————————————
"Oh, sweet, gullible, naive (Y/N). You really believe that, don't you?"
—————————————

"Varian's lab should be right above us."

Rapunzel whispered, just loud enough for you and your father to hear.

You three stood inside the tunnel leading to Varian's house. Even down here, black rocks had sprouted. Water dripped down from the ceiling slowly.

"Why is there a ladder though? Isn't that oddly convenient? Just me?"

No one paid your words any mind as they started climbing.

"Yeah, okay, it's just me, got it."

The wood creaked loudly as Rapunzel ascended, resulting in king Frederick muttering a quick "careful!".

Rapunzel lifted the trap door just a tad bit, scanning the room. She spotted Varian at the window, so she got out and carefully approached. You followed right after your dad.

King Frederick grabbed Varian by the shoulders roughly, only to turn him around and see that it wasn't Varian at all; it was a life-sized doll of the boy.

"Oh no." Was what you muttered moments before disaster struck.

Your father threw the doll to the ground in anger.

"What is this!?"

Then, you heard mechanical whirring. You had walked right into his trap hadn't you?

A pink substance you knew well kept your feet glued to the ground.

Then, you heard dry laughter.

"Welcome back." He said with a grin as the chemical compounds that were tied to his staff illuminated his face.

"Varian! I demand you release us and tell us where the queen is!" Your father bellowed.

"Your Majesty," Varian spike while he put Pascal in a tiny cage. "I know it's hard for you, but for the first time in your life... you are in no position to demand anything." He mocked.

With a slightly lighter voice, he continued.

"But! In the spirit of compromise, how 'bout I meet you halfway?"

He pulled away a curtain, revealing your mother in a rather disheveled state. She sat on the ground, ankle chained up.

"Mom!" Rapunzel attempted to reach forward but she was caught by her father before she could fall to the ground due to the restrains.

"I'm okay dear."

"Let her go Varian! Please!"

You felt tears gather in your eyes.

"Varian, stop this nonsense! I promise you, we can find a way out of this, a way where you don't have to hurt anyone!"

His face twitched slightly before he sighed.

"Oh, sweet, gullible, naive (Y/N). You really believe that, don't you? If there were another way I would've found it. And I understand that you are eager to help, but the same can't be said for the entire rest of the kingdom. With all the angered citizens, that wouldn't go well for either of us. Now, Rapunzel, before I let your mother go you're going to do something for me."

"What do you want?" Your father spat out as he tried to shield you and your sister to the best of his abilities.

"Oh!" He shook with laughter. "So now you care about what I want! Haha! All it took was threatening the things you love the most."