Prologue

Heavy woods surrounded a nondescript wheelhouse as it traveled. Inside the rough interior that fit six sat a father and his young daughter. The journey from Heart's Home to the Eyrie was long and tedious. No road ran between the two castles meaning the carriage was forced to take dirt pathways through the sprawling forests. The young girl stared out the window, searching for a sign of the savage clans that inhabited the woods. The mountain clans were known to attack travelers passing through their land, looting and killing.

Elowen's stomach fluttered, everything that could possibly go wrong flashing in her mind. She was nervous, she had never been close to her father and now she was alone with him. Lord Baldric was an overproud man from a small house.

In his youth he had participated in tourneys, besting any knight that crossed his path. That was how Baldric had met his wife, Lady Helena Arryn, his love. During a tourney at Maidenpool, Baldric had been struck by Lady Helena's beauty, upon his victory he had named her his Queen of Love and Beauty. A secret courtship began and it wasn't long until Baldric was on his knees begging Lord Arryn for his only daughter's hand. Senile in his old age, the Warden of the East had agreed and Lord Baldric and Lady Helena were married at spring's first bloom. The following year they welcomed their first child, Elowen.

Lord Baldric had managed to hide his disappointment at first, until the next pregnancy ended with a small corpse where there should have been a crying babe. It was not long until the Lady of Heart's Home was heavy with child again. The cycle repeated until the maesters warned their Lord that another pregnancy might cost the mother her life.

"Father, why must we visit the Arryns?" Elowen questioned, tearing her eyes from the trees beyond the wheelhouse. The six year old turned to look where Lord Baldric sat across from his young daughter in the carriage.

"King Jaehaerys has announced a betrothal between Lord Arryn's youngest daughter and Prince Baelon and Princess Alyssa's eldest son. We will offer our congratulations in person and be the first family to do so." Her father replied, not even looking up from the book in his hand.

"Why do we need to be the first? And why are we traveling without mother," With this question, Lord Baldric knew his daughter would not be ceasing her questions anytime soon. "I'm sure she misses her brother and would like to see him."

Marking his place in the book, he set it down beside him, turning his full attention to his daughter. "She will be a princess, Elowen, and will be in need of a companion and lady in waiting. And as for your mother, she is to heavy with child to make the journey."

"And you wish for me to be her companion?" A small smile had spread across the young brunette's face as she was finally deemed important enough to have her father's undivided attention. She could not remember ever being his sole focus, that was usually reserved for her mother or whatever matter arose that needed Lord Corbray.

"Of Course I do, Elowen," The older man sighed, his shoulders tensing as his annoyance began to grow. "I wish you would think before asking such senseless questions."

The once bright smile began to dim as her father reached for the book that sat on the bench beside him. Dread loomed overhead as she scrambled to think of something to say to keep her father's attention.

"I only wish to be prepared enough to make you proud, father." Elowen spoke quietly, knowing it was already too late. Her father would not speak to her for the rest of the trip. Turning to the window to her right, Elowen decided that watching the trees fly past would be enough to pass the time. She did not wish to press her father further and risk a verbal lashing or worse.

★・・・・・・★

Lord Rodrik Arryn had been pleased when he had received a letter from his good brother, it had been so long since he had seen his sister and her family. The Warden of the East had gathered his children in the High Hall, waiting for their guests to arrive. His children from his first marriage stood on the steps leading up to weirwood throne. His youngest daughter, the only one from his second marriage, stood beside the throne her father sat upon.

The eyes of the ruling House of the Vale remained locked on the doors separating the High Hall from the rest of the castle as the doors opened and House Corbray was announced.

"Baldric," Lord Rodrik called, if he was disappointed at his sister's absence he hid it well. "Welcome to the Eyrie, its been some time since your last visit."

Lord Rodrik, a short man with a large belly, stood from his throne, stepping down to meet his good brother. The two balding men met at the base of the steps offering each other a quick hand shake.

"We wanted to offer our congratulations in person, such a strong match for your youngest daughter."

"Yes, King Jaehaerys has honored my House once again." Rodrik smiled, turning to the young brunette and bending down to her height. "Elowen, my dear niece, look how you've grown. You look just like your mother."

"Thank you, my Lord," Elowen offered her uncle a polite smile. "I wished to congratulate Aemma on her betrothal to Prince Viserys. She will make a wonderful queen one day."

"Thank you, my dear," Lord Aryn smiled genuinely before turning to call over his shoulder. "Aemma, come greet your cousin and uncle."

Elowen watched as Aemma gracefully descended the stairs, long white hair flowing behind her. She was beautiful, Elowen thought, Aemma had to be the prettiest girl in the realm.

The two girls greeted each other before Aemma turned to her father. "Father, may we go to the gardens?"

"Of course my darling, watch out for your cousin."