Chapter Twenty-Three

As the early morning sun lit up the outer courtyard of the Red Keep, the King and Queen wished the Princess goodbye. The heir to the Iron Throne was to journey across the continent in pursuit of a suitable match. House Arryn would be the first to welcome the Princess, housing her for weeks as different lords of the Vale met with her.

Elowen had begun to weep as the wheelhouse carrying Rhaenyra pulled through the open gates. It would take Rhaenyra over a year to tour the realm, leaving Elowen to wonder who she would be when she returned. A sharp pain tore through Elowen's abdomen followed by a deep ache radiating around the base of her spine.

Viserys turned at the sound of air being expelled from Elowen's lungs, using his hands to keep Elowen on her feet. "What is the matter? Is the babe-"

"They're coming, Viserys." Elowen exclaimed through clenched teeth, her fingers sinking into Viserys's forearm like claws.

Servants quickly rushed to their Queen's aid, helping Elowen to her chambers. The world passed in a blur around Elowen, something felt different this labor was unlike her last. By the time Elowen had been settled onto the bed she shared with her husband her dress and jewelry had been removed, leaving her in a shift and nothing else.

Viserys knelt beside the bed, holding one of Elowen's hands in both of his. Worry swam in his warm lavender eyes as he watched Elowen's face tighten in pain. "Where is the maester?" Viserys snapped at the nearby servants before pressing sweet kisses to Elowen's knuckles.

"I'm here, Your Grace." Mellows responded, entering the room in a flurry of gray robes.

"What took you so long, Mellos?" Viserys glared at the old man.

"I apologize, Your Grace, I came as fast as I could." The Grand Maester began to climb onto the bed near Elowen's feet.

"No!" Elowen yelled, pulling her knees upwards in an effort to protect her babe.

"Your Grace-" Mellos began, trying to placate the hysteric Queen.

"I don't want him to touch me," Elowen turned to look at Viserys, her eyes large with fear. "Please Viserys."

The King furrowed his brows as he looked at his wife in confusion. He couldn't understand why she wouldn't want the Grand Maester to care for her, but if she despised the idea so much he wouldn't force her to. "Stand down Mellos," At the maester's protests the King turned to the man with a fiery glare. "You will not touch my wife."

"Your Grace, a maester is needed to ensure a safe delivery."

Viserys merely looked back at his wife, awaiting her choice. "Orwyle," Elowen croaked out. "I want Orwyle."

The Grand Maester huffed, muttering expletives under his breath as he turned from the bed. His apprentice stepped forward, carefully climbing onto the bed as Elowen spread her legs. The hem of her shift was flipped over her knees as Orwyle checked if she was ready.