Chapter Fourteen

The next morning Elowen had followed Viserys to the Small Council meeting. She stood to the side with her uncle trying to stay out of the way as the Lords entered the room. Most ignored her except for the elderly Lord Beesbury who had taken her husband's place as head of the treasury and finances of the kingdom. The elderly man had taken Elowen's hand and offered his condolences while she congratulated him on the new post.

Viserys had watched as Elowen interacted with the new Master of Coin with grace, a small smile pulling at his lips as his heart warmed in his chest. The mere sight of her lustrous brown hair and shining hazel eyes was enough to cause his heart to flutter against his rib cage, as if attempting to escape its confines and fly to its true owner.

"Good Morrow my lords," Viserys greeted as he turned to face his advisors. "I have decided to take a new wife."

Lord Corlys sat up straighter upon the announcement. A smug smile growing on the white haired man's face. A sense of pride radiated from the already over proud man.

"I intend to marry," Viserys paused holding out his hand as Elowen stepped closer, a bright smile pulling at her lips as she took his hand. "The Lady Elowen Corbray before springsend."

Lord Corlys stood quickly causing his seat to fall back against the floor. "This is an absurdity. My house is Valyrian, the greatest power in the realm. You would pass over my daughter for a barren widow."

"I am your King," Viserys glared at his cousin's husband, daring Corlys to speak out against his choice. "I have chosen Elowen as my wife and your next Queen, any insult to her is an insult to me."

The room was tense as Lord Corlys glared at the King. Realizing he had lost, the Lord of Driftmark stormed from the room.

"Lord Beesbury," Viserys's eyes trailed to the old man. "I would like to help fund Ser Uther's fight in the Vale, find out what he and his men need."

"As you wish, Your Grace." The Master of Coin nodded, looking to where the knight still stood.

"Rhaenyra." Viserys called to his only child, reaching a hand out for her to take.

The Princess looked between her father and his intended, a small smile forced onto her face. "Congratulations, Father, Lady Elowen."

Elowen's heart broke at the sound of her title, she wished for nothing more than to pull Rhaenyra into a hug and swear nothing would change. But before she had the chance Rhaenyra was fleeing from the room, leaving Elowen behind.

"She will come around." Viserys promised, lifting the hand he still held to his lips.

Elowen smiled at the man she loved. "I hope you are right."

"Your Grace," A voice from behind Elowen interrupted the moment, the two turned to see Elowen's uncle nearing them. "Let me be the first to offer my congratulations on your upcoming marriage."

"Thank you, uncle. You'll stay for the celebration won't you?"

"I can see no reason not to." Uther smiled, happy to see his niece truly happy for the first time in a years. He bowed, quickly leaving the newly betrothed couple to their happiness.

★・・・・・・★

The planning for the royal wedding had quickly begun following Viserys's announcement. Ravens had flown from King's Landing to the noble houses across the realm, inviting the lords and ladies to attend. Renowned tailors and seamstresses from every region of the realm had written to Elowen wishing to be the ones to create her dresses for the occasion. Sketches and samples of luxurious fabrics had also been sent, hoping they might win over the soon-to-be Queen.

Light streamed through the windows Elowen's chambers, the heavy curtains had been pushed to the side so that the afternoon sun could light up the room. Elowen stood on a pedestal in front of three different mirrors as a Seamstress knelt before her, placing pins in her dress. Ingrid and Gretchel watched on as the dress was fitted, offering compliments to their lady. Elowen wished Rhaenyra had joined them, though the Princess had been avoiding her since the announcement.

"How is that, my Lady?" The seamstress asked.

White fabric was draped down her body, accenting her slender figure. The sleeves fell off her shoulder, beaded with silver gems as the ones across the neckline and bodice. A train draped behind her, shining with a bright red satin on the underside and white downy feathers on the top layer. Elowen felt absolutely gorgeous, she radiated a happiness and warmth she had not felt ever.

"It is perfect. Thank you." Elowen smiled down at the woman.

A soft knock at the door disturbed the comfortable moment, as everyone turned to the door. Rhaenyra entered the room followed by a servant holding pillows.

"Rhaenyra." Elowen greeted with a smile, stepping down from the platform to greet the young teen. Her hands itched to reach out to the girl she had watched grow up, to hold her and swear nothing would change.

"My father asked that I bring this for you." Rhaenyra turned to the servant, avoiding meeting Elowen's gaze.

Elowen looked to the servants, hazel eyes trailing over the glittering jewels and fine metal. She stepped forward, gently tracing a finger along the ruby at the front of the crown. Six other differently colored gems were evenly spaced around the circlet.

"It's beautiful."

"It was the Good Queen's." Rhaenyra shared, her fingers tangled together in front of her.

Elowen stepped closer to Rhaenyra, slowly reaching a hand out to take one of hers. "Could we speak for a moment?"

At Rhaenyra's nod Ingrid and Gretchel escorted the seamstress and servant from the room, placing the crown on a nearby table. As the room emptied, Rhaenyra glanced up at Elowen, her lilac eyes watery with unshed tears.

"What is wrong, sweet girl?" Elowen asked, pushing a strand of silver hair off of Rhaenyra's shoulder. When Rhaenyra made no move to respond, Elowen continued speaking. "Nothing is going to change, Rhaenyra."

"You're marrying my father, you'll be Queen."

"Yes, but I would like to remain your Aunt Wen if you'll allow me too. I cradled you to my breast when you were a babe and only the sound of my heartbeat would soothe you enough to sleep. I raced you through the gardens when your feet were still unsteady underneath you. I cheered you on when you claimed Syrax as your mount. I held you as you cried after your Septa scolded you too harshly. I have always been there for you, Rhaenyra. You have always been my sweet girl, nothing could change that."

Tears trailed down Rhaenyra's cheeks as she buried her face in Elowen's chest. The older woman carded her fingers through the princess's long silver locks, hushing the girl's cries.

Rhaenyra pulled back with a sniffle, rubbing at her eyes. "I'll ruin your dress."

"You could never ruin a thing," Elowen promised, squeezing Rhaenyra's hand. "But you could tell me what you think?"

"It's beautiful, Elowen. You look every part the Queen you will be."

"Thank you, Rhaenyra. Would you like to stay for the rest of the fitting?"

At Rhaenyra's nod, Elowen called for everyone to enter the room and returned to the pedestal. Though now as the seamstress pinned the hem Elowen stared at Rhaenyra's reflection in the mirror, watching as a small smile lit up the Princess's face once more.

AN: Next Chapter is the wedding and then we're FINALLY onto part two!

-ELE